Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

TV won't hold the channel it is on and sometimes will go to

Customer Question

TV won't hold the channel it is on and sometimes will go to some random channel other than the one requested when scrolling through channels it will also go off to random channels
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: it has been happening on and off for a few months
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: i only use the 'Air' source
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has been an issue for a few months
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't recall any event that would have started it
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

What's the model number off of the back of this TV please?

Also what's the rough age of the set?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a Samsung HP-T5054 plasma display. Its maybe 5 or 6 years old. Not sure of purchase date. Picture is very good.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, I was having website issues.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

If using the AIR source on the TV (meaning no cable/SAT box is in the mix) the set going to random channels is actually a hardware fault occurring within it's "Mainboard". This is the board that contains the main processor for the TV, and also contains the built in Tuner. There are no settings or pushbutton fixes for this aside from leaving the set unplugged for an hour or more to drain all residual current- and hopefully reset the processor. Beyond this the Mainboard of the TV would need to be replaced in order to fix the issue. I am looking now to see if that component is still available for this slightly older Plasma.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would you expect the circuits for other sources to also be bad?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

All sources are processed on that board. You could have one source fail, or multiple- there is not a one shot mode of failure for the board.

That board is actually available at the link below for $50 for your model. It is a "plug and play" part (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it):

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/samsung-hp-t5054-main-board-bn94-01230a-bn41-00840a.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CnNv--Wz8u_S_zcZD5hcHLD8-pXMFpdzBKQQab3ubPRoC457w_wcB

If you're looking to repair the set- swapping the board yourself, or having a friend/family member do it is your most cost effective solution.

Alternatively, a shop will charge close to $275 parts and labor for the same job, which is bordering on not cost effective. However if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Since the issue is occurring with the Tuner, and the ENTIRE tuner and channels are all processed on the Mainboard (no other part of the TV has any bearing on the channels changing) that is the part that needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hhmmm. Are any special tools neded to open up the set?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

No special tools are needed as stated above. Only a Philips screwdriver.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Remove every single screw on the back of the TV and the back panel comes off. The Mainboard is exposed with the AV jacks on in. Unplug the wire harnesses (they all have plastic clips) and then remove the screws around the perimeter of the board and remove it. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One more question. Is this TV likely to have other components that will soon fail as well?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Every electronic component made starts to fail as soon as it is powered up- meaning every part that operates in the circuit is starting to wear the first second it's used. That said the TV uses Sustain Boards, Buffer Boards, a Logic Board and Power Supply which all contribute to it's operation. I've seen the same model last 2 years for one person and 10 for another- it's impossible to predict how long and when a part will fail. This is the nature of all electronics.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I personally would put the $50 into the Mainboard if I were to repair the set myself. However at the $275 shop repair rate, I would likely put that same money towards a new TV if that helps.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. Thats all good information. I will think about what we want to do. Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

You're very welcome and best of luck with the set. Please do not forget to click a positive rating before you go so that I am paid for working with you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
done
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Those stars and a submit button should be at the top of the screen. Let me know if you do not see them.