Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a KDL70W850B Sony Bravia tv that is giving me 4

Customer Question

I have a KDL70W850B Sony Bravia tv that is giving me 4 flashing red lights and won't turn on
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: KDL70W850B Roughly 2 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I cannot turn the tv menu on because the tv will not turn on. It turns on for like 30 seconds and then shuts back off
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it happened the other night (2 days ago) and nothing triggered why it would not work. It just stopped working
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

I see you were chatting with the site assistant. I am Mike, the field technician assigned to help you. If you see a pop up for phone call service, it was not sent by me and I am not available by phone. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here.

-What have you tried so far to get the tv working again?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Mike, I have not tried anything just researching things to try to helpe figure out the problem
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Please try this:
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-press and hold the power button on the tv (not remote) for 20 seconds and release (or just leave the tv unplugged for 5 full minutes).
-plug in the tv power cord and try to turn on.

Reply back and let me know if that changed anything or not.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I apologize. Yes I have tried that already. I have also tried pressing the up button and power at same time.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Ok then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The tv needs complex diagnosis, internal parts, and professional service. Theoretically I could help you with that but if you do not have the needed skills and tools then having it repaired by a local shop is your best option. I can help you with that too, just provide your zip code.

If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option and you may also submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I already knew that much. I paid for this to help me diagnose the problem so I can try to fix this issue myself. I do not have access to take a 70inch tv into a shop
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Please describe your previous real world electronics repair experience?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am a FAA radar technician. I do not see why I need to describe my background. I understand where you may be coming from but I just need some answers and verification of the problem before I attempt to remove the paneling from my tv
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

4 blinks is ether the LED driver board or the LED's inside the screen assembly. Best (and really only) option is to replace the LED driver board. If that doesn't fix then the tv is beyond repair because nobody takes apart these screen assemblies. You can buy the board at this link:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-49-p2b01g001-led-driver.htm

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there a chance this may be a fan issue and not the led driver board? I have done my reasearch enough to realize they may be either the board or fan. I was hoping I would get a verified confirmed answer to thieves problem.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

what is "thieves problem"

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Autocorrect. Meant to say the problem, not thieves problem
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Have you taken the back off the tv?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not yet, waiting on your expertise
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

There are many older tv's that had fans and 4 blinks is fan error on those, but I don't think this model even has a fan. Where did you see research saying that it does?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That might be true. I have read it on a few different sites. Some of the sites did not have a date posted to know when their issue occurred. So basically there is nothing I could do on my own to fix this? And if there is not anything possible for myself to do, is there any shops/technicians that make home visits as I do not want to have to attempt to take this 70inch heavy tv into a shop
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

I don't understand, did you miss my post where I gave you a link to buy the LED board? Here it is again: http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-49-p2b01g001-led-driver.htm Is there some reason why you can't replace that board?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Myself replace the board or do I need to take it in to a shop?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

You can buy the board at that website.

You can replace the board yourself.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Or if you don't want to do the work, give me your zip code and I can look up your local shops.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?