Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung and it seems the remote is not responding?

Customer Question

HI I have a Samsung and it seems the remote is not responding? I have checked the batteries and all good. And it does respond for my volume control but that is all. Can I somehow reset it or any suggestions? thanks John
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: will get it..standby...about 4 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV menu does not work from remoteTvs working everywhere else in the house Model Number LA32R81WD
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Yesterday...I was plugging the power in and working fine..then the power plug moved slightly and slightly disconnected caused the TV to go off.I then pushed the plug back in and it worked again but the remote (except Volume) did not work
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: do you think it is TV or remote or something else?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Are you referring to the original Samsung remote or a cable/SAT remote please?

Also, do the buttons on the TV itself work as they should?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Just making sure we're referring to the original remote here, can you send a reply back?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

It's like that bumping the power cord caused a glitch in the TV's Mainboard (processor). Please try the steps below and let me know what happens.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and the remote works normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Troubleshooting is a process and relies on 2-way communication. Can you type something back so that I at least know you are reading this?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I'm unsure why unable to reply but, if the issue is still there then it appears the IR sensor on the TV may have failed when the power cord was bumped back into place (this is not uncommon with electronics). However if you'd like to test the remote to make sure, let me know if you have a cell phone camera or digital camera we can use to test the remote and we can proceed.