TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Had the TV on and the picture went blank and I have black

Customer Question
screen. I do have...
Had the TV on and the picture went blank and I have black screen. I do have volume.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: XBr HDMI Bravia - 7 or 8 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu pops up. I only use Video 7.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just happened 5 minutes ago. The menu popped up after I hit the menu key on my verizon remote.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/24/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.

Please let me know when you are ready

Did you mean that the verizon menu or guide shows up , you have sound but no picture ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The menu shows up but not the guide
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think this is a scam...forget it

The verizon menu or tv`s menu ?

What do you mean ???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tv menu

Yes but you said you were using the verizon remote ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now nothing shows up when I hit the menu button on my Verizon remote

In any case it doesn`t matter , if you can open and see the menu then the tv should be fine and the cable box is at fault

Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a minute.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.

Watch the tv screen while it reboots and see if there are any messages

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The same channel is on in another room

Talking about the box ,not the channel

Or do you have 2 tv`s connected to this same box ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No each tv has there own box. I unplugged the cable and turned off the TV. I plug in the cable in and turned on the TV. Nothing on the screen it happened. I still have sound. Video number seven with no signal shows up on the screen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the picture went out.

I asked you to pull out the cable box power cord not the cable that connects it to the tv

Your tv has some picture if you can see its menu

In other words REBOOT the box power

Then if it doesn`t come back , get your other box and try it on this tv

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cannot see the menu anymore.

You cant see the tv`s own menu now ??

You said above in your opening post " The menu popped up after I hit the menu key on my verizon remote."

I`m sorry but I will have to opt out now.

You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
Please just standby and someone should be with you shortly .
PS. DO NOT rate or it will hinder the repost .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The menu on the remote no longer works wheras it did earlier tonight. I rebooted and nothing happened. All I see is video number seven on the screen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The cable works fine as I can flip through the channels and hear the different sounds. There is no picture.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cable works fine in the other room on a different channel.
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

If you still need help with this, would you try pressing the MENU button on the tv itself (not on the remote) and let me know if that shows anything on screen?

Nathan, Installer