hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience:  State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer
40928634

Remote not working, replaced batteries checked on another tv

Customer Question

Remote not working, replaced batteries checked on another tv worked fine is there any reset on the tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello Alan, There isn't a reset for the remote on the TV no, but I need to ask for some more info:

1) Doe the controls on the TV itself work as it should?

2) Are you referring to the original LG remote here?

3) Roughly how old is the TV please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Original remote yes all the buttons on the tv work fine, tv is 4 years old
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. This is either an IR sensor failure in the TV (there's a separate IR board within the set), or the Mainboard has locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and operates from the remote normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Are you having the same problem Alan?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If so, then your IR sensor in the TV has failed (since you stated the remote works on another set), and that is roughly a $150 repair on this set. If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if this is something you're looking to repair yourself, let me know and I will search for the IR board to purchase for you.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I read that the remote input can be dirty with dust the reset didn't work
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Remote Input? You mean the outside of the IR receiver, well in most cases No- that doesn't generally happen. However if you'd like to try that, then you can use a damp, warm cloth to gently wile around the bezel of the screen (with the TV unplugged) then plug it back in and see if the remote will work- but I honestly don't have high hopes for that and the sensor likely needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No there is a plug in the back (remote input) I've read it gets dusty and the tv cuts the it sensor off
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay, well you're on your own on that one I'm afraid, since it would seem you have a different agenda. I will opt out at this point.

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 9 months ago.

Hello if this is for a remote IR sensor then you can try to unplug the sensor from the back of the TV and wipe the plug that goes into the back of the TV with some isopropyl alcohol. I'm guessing that the plug is like a 3.5mm earphone plug?

​You can also use some electronic contact cleaner in can to clean the plug if you have it.

​This is the same theory as the old days where head/earphones would cut in & out or sound crackly because the plug had gotten oxidised.