Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Tv will not turn on only shows red light using remote and

Customer Question

tv will not turn on only shows red light using remote and manually.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: model TC-P42S30 Panasonic HD TV
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just started and we have unplugged it and plugged back in
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Are you saying that red light stays steady, and never starts blinking at any point? Also, do you ever get anything on the screen at all when you power up the set?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Please read my reply and post one back to proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Did you need help with this??

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

If you still need help with this, can you please tell me what the light on the front of the tv is doing, please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Light stays sold red until I hold down power button on TV. It then blinks 14 times. No picture or sound at all.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for checking.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv would be considered at the end of its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.