TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

You have a 72 inch Mitsubishi brand new light bulb the

Customer Question
expensive one $80 for the...
You have a 72 inch Mitsubishi brand new light bulb the expensive one $80 for the light bulb the light bulb won't come on the sound comes on but no picture and there's like a noise coming from the projector I guess you'll call it circle thing in the center what do you think it could be
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 4 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The volume works and you can change through the channel you just don't get no picture
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Model number is ***** - 73640
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I got the TV for my mother and the light bulb completely blue like a real well pump and she told me that all it was was the lightbulb to put a light bulb in there and it should work but the light bulbs that I bought which is 2 of them $80 apiece and I've tried both of them but there's still no picture you give volume you can turn the volume up and down and hear the volume of the stations and you can turn it through the channels and hear the different channels you just don't get no picture
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/20/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me if there are any lights showing on the front of the tv, and exactly what they are doing? There should be some pattern to the flashing light typically.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Okay when you first turn on the TV the light in the front keeps blinking green and then it goes off after about 20 blinks of green so then I hit the turn on button and it stays green for about a minute and as it stays green there is a sound like a motor is going out and then the light blinks 6 Red X and 1 yellow and it keeps repeating itself I wish there was a way I could send you a 7 second video of the sound and where it's coming from but it seems like it's coming from the circle injector area in the center of the TV and I don't know if that is where the color wheel is

Can you press the power button for 10 seconds and and then watch what the light does after that again

After you push the power button for 10 seconds the green light just keeps blinking about 20 to 30 times and then there's no light at all and then you turn the power button on again and you hear the sound that the motor or something is trying to come on or the fan or whatever it is is making this weird or hammering noise and it goes back to blinking 6 red blinking lights and one yellow again

After you push the power button for 10 seconds the green light just keeps blinking about 20 to 30 times and then there's no light at all and then you turn the power button on again and you hear the sound that the motor or something is trying to come on or the fan or whatever it is is making this weird or hammering noise and it goes back to blinking 6 red blinking lights and one yellow again the light does not come on

TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 12 months ago

Thank you for checking,

that pattern you are getting is not indicative of anything specific, it is not a specific trouble code with an identified cause. What that then means is that even the internal diagnostics functions aren't working, which points to a main board fault or power board

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv would be considered about at the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $1000 range.

Keep in mind that even if you do repair the current issue, it is inevitable that the tv will have continued failures and at some point need a dlp chip, a formatter board, color wheel, etc as well as ongoing lamp costs, so replacement really does become more economical in the long run.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Installer