Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Noisy video even on menus. Hold on please. Model X 50. Same

Customer Question

Hello! Noisy video even on menus.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Hold on please.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Model X 50. Same problem everywhere even on menus.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just happened when turned on. Was OK before.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Is this a Sceptre tv?

Is the noisy video even on the sceptres own menu screens (picture/sound settings, etc)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct sir.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming, is it possible for you to move the tv to another room/area to plug it into a different outlet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done that. Seems to be a problem in the unit itself, not environmental.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for checking, I wanted to rule out interference, sometimes a nearby motor, heater, etc can cause this type of issue.

Unfortunately, with that ruled out, we are then looking at an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These sceptre tvs are one of the lowest quality brands on the market, being built for a certain price point, not for reliability. It is normal and expected for these tvs to last just a few years at best, ***** ***** one is actually far past what we would expect of them.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help Nathan. You are correct, get a new set. Be well my friend.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You're very welcome.

If looking to replace, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2dYWKT8

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a great weekend,