TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Why won't input "compositeAV" recognize my ipod or my

Customer Question
iphone? I have the Apple...
Why won't input "compositeAV" recognize my ipod or my iphone? I have the Apple compositeAV cable attached to the back of the tv. I have the red and white audio and USB connected to the back of the TV but since there isn't a yellow jack the instructions say plug into green one.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: 48" flat screen 1080p, 60HzLED TV
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu comes up. HDMI2 with Uverse works fine
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just started trying to get MY music to run through tv last night Ordered and picked up Apple compositeAV cable today
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've tried everything. Turning all on and off too
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/19/2016
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up and by the way , pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions and suggestions;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .
Also ,Could you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
48" 1080p, 60Hz LED TV flat screen

Sorry but those are the specs , not the model number

What brand name is it ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's mounted on the wall
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Insignia
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it: NS-48D420NA16?

What happens is that most tv now have the component and composite inputs shared hence the green terminal instead of yellow .

Most often the tv will recognize the type of signal and switch to it automatically but also often you have to tell it to look for composite instead if its default component .

Let me check this

By the way , any reason why you did not get the COMPONENT adapter ?

You would get a much better picture than composite or better yet straight HDMI

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm using HDMI for cable TV. I wanted to play my music from iPhone or iPod through the tv. Separate component. I have teh cables now. Not needing the video but the TV to recognize a new audio source
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Input "composite AV" says nothing connected but everything is connected including my iPod for music

Your tv will need a video signal in order to let audio through , otherwise it is muted and also , your tv has 3 hdmi inputs

correction , 2 hdmi inputs

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the yellow in the green video as per written instructions

Now you are saying that when you select that input it says COMPOSITE on the screen ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says no signal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Like it won't recognize the iPod being connected

Have you tried this setup on another tv perhaps ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only have one tv here now but I've run audio by choosing a different "Input"

When you press input , does it say "component a/v " or composite a/v ?

manual says to select component

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Component

you got sound now ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no still says "no signal"

O.k , give me a minute and i`ll have you try something

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a difference between composite cable and component cable?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Apple sold me a "composite" cable but the input is looking for "component?"

Never mind , was thinking about the "audio only" function but that works onnly when in TV mode not a/v inputs.

Right now you would have to either try something like a dvd or even an old vcr in those terminals to see if they are active or try your setup on another tv to find out if it works

Just saw your last question , yes , composite is the lowest resolution where all the component of the video signal are bundled together and component are separate into 3 video and 2 audio and run at a much higher resolution

I have a pretty good idea that the component adapter would have worked

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. So it isn't the cable since video is not my goal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tv menu doesn't allow for anything to help with this?

I understand but most tv will mute the sound and give you a no signal screen if no video signal is present so you need that yellow plug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got the yellow plug, plugged in

I would think that the apple guys thought of this and have a built in blank signal or better yet the ipod music menu as video signal

You need to test either your apple setup somewhere else or something else on the tv , you are at that point now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you for your time and helpful info

No problem and if you don`t mind using the rating system above then i will get credited for my time

Thank you

Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician