TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Installed a Lava HD-8008 TV antenna. If I plug in the signal

Customer Question
booster I loose certain channels...
Installed a Lava HD-8008 TV antenna. If I plug in the signal booster I loose certain channels, ABC and others. If I don't plug in the signal booster, I can not get NBC, CBS and many other channels. How do I correct this?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: LG 47LG50
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV menu works fine. Only have problem on the Antenna setting.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I presently have cable and it works just fine. I want to install this OMNI directional HD antenna instead of using cable and save the money.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/19/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, This would point to either a defective booster, or you are not installing the booster correctly. It is a single direction booster, and must be plugged into the specific port on the splitter for the booster. That booster inserts on the side of the connecting block, and then the antenna plugs into the Input on one end and the other end is the Output to the TV. Have you triple checked and verified this?

Then unfortunately the DC from the booster is somehow backfeeding into the antenna, which indicates a fault in the Power Insert. The booster being plugged in should never prevent any channels from coming through, only add to the number of channels you can receive.

Have you tried a complete power reset, by shutting the TV off, unplugging it's power cord then unplugging and reconnecting all of the components in the antenna, inserter, booster setup then trying a re-scan from scratch? This can help by draining all residual current from all of the components, and enacting a reset.

Let me know what happens once you try that please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not tried To unplug TV and reset. It is like it over powers certain channels

I understand what it's doing and we need to try the following steps on a user level, both as a test, and an attempt at a fix. If these steps do not work, there are no settings/adjustments you can make to fix it, you will need to return the antenna and exchange it (as it indicates a hardware fault).

1) Shut the TV off and unplug it.

2) Remove all connections dealing with the antenna- the antenna from the inserter, the booster from the inserter, and the coaxial cable from the inserter to the TV.

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release.

4) Carefully reconnect the antenna, the booster, and the TV to the inserter (double check connections in figure 2, at the link below):

http://www.firebird-systems.com/graphics/lava/hd-8008_files/hd8008-manual.pdf

5) Plug the TV back into power, and run a scan.

Let me know what happens.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Eric. I followed your instructions but it did not fix the problem

Then as indicated above you have a faulty unit and would want to exchange it. It's not operating the way it was designed to and there are no user fixes beyond trying the reset. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if I installed a signal combiner?

A signal combiner is a biplexer to Mix both Cable TV and antenna signals. It puts them on different frequencies. Is that what you're trying to do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

That would be the only purpose of a signal combiner. Your inserter is SUPPOSED to isolate the power feed from the antenna itself and simply boost incoming signals - not drop stations when the booster is connected. No other equipment should be needed. You actually do indeed have a defective antenna and/or inserter. Didn't you just purchase this brand new?

Return it and either exchange for the same unit or a Winegard. Both are great antennas, you simply got a bad one. This happens with all type of electronics.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

You're welcome and best of luck! Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician