TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My tv is a 3D when I first turn it on I can only see at the

Customer Question
top one fifth some light...
My tv is a 3D when I first turn it on I can only see at the top one fifth some light of a picture but every thing else is dark or black until I guess it warms up. What could that be and where can I get the part to fix that problem?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It's a vizio 55 inch
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menue works nd just when I turn it on for the first time
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this has been a few months and nothing is going on until I turn on the tv
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/18/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand this would be caused by weak/failing LED strips inside of the LCD panel (which are what light the screen). The only other component in the TV that works to light the screen is the power supply board - however the entire screen would be black until the set warms up if that were the case generally. In order to determine which is causing this with certainty, a TV tech will need to test the power supply board's LED +/- backlight voltages while the screen is mostly black to see if they are up to spec. If they are not - then the power supply board will need to be replaced, which is on average a $250 repair on a 55" Vizio. However if they are up to spec then the LED strips inside of the panel need to be replaced, and this is quite expensive as it requires complete rebuilding of the screen, and also of the TV. Some shops will deem the set non-repairable for this fault, and others will charge closer to $400 parts and labor to rebuild the screen )in which case it's not cost effective to repair since a brand new 55" Vizio starts at around $450-$500.

If you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek another opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Please view my answer posted above.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician