TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

What causes a tv to make a clicking sound when I plug it in?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/18/2016
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- What are the original symptoms of TV that prompted you to replace all those boards?
- Is there any change in TV symptoms after boards replacement?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was given to me. It done the same as when I got it. I was just changing the boards that could cause that. There is a green light on the logic board that blinks with the clicks..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I unhook the logic board from the power board I here the TVs start up tune.

OK, did you get identical replacement boards having same part numbers?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm thinking the main board from shopjimmy was not the exact but one they said would work on it.

OK, can you please get me the complete model code written on back of TV?

Also, what is the part number of old and new main boards?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BN96-14800A is what was on there and they sent me BN94-03775D

OK, working on it, give me 5 minutes please.

- Can you please get me the complete model code written on back of TV?

Thanks for the info, it seems TV doesn't boot up fully and resets during boot up process and reboots again, this process goes on and you hear relay click on every time TV reboots.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After about a min or 2 it's stops all together. Have to unplug it to get it to click again.

There are two possible causes for this symptoms, either main processor chip on main board isn't booting up OR the display panel/ screen is short and protection circuitry shuts off the boot up processor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so what board do I change?

As you mentioned the clicking process stops after 2 minutes that indicates main board is working and display panel/ screen is bad that need to be replaced, sorry about this news.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah the clicking stops and have to be unplugged and re plugged ro get it to do anything.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shouldn't it still have sound if the screen was out?

Please get the part number off of sticker pasted on metal frame of display panel to search/ google it to get price info that will help you to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on replacement TV. Display panel part number would be like BN96-12676A or some thing similar.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so it's not the 2 different main boards?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

No, a short display panel could damage the sustain boards, y-main and x-main, that is why protection circuit instantly shuts off power on process.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you.

You're welcome, if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Shahid I ordered another main board. The same part number I pulled off of the TV not the alt part shopjimmy sent me. Now the tv has stopped clicking when I plug it in. I can turn it on with the remote but it turns right back off. What now could it be?
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 12 months ago

OK, please check Va and Vs volts output of power supply board with multimeter as these volts go to y-main and x-main boards. If volts are available then try old y-main and x-main board one by one and reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Va is 55Vs does not give me a accurate reading

What vols appear at Vs?

It should be approx 200V

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician