TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I broke the lamp cover switch, HD-61z886, it does not come

Customer Question
I broke the lamp cover...
I broke the lamp cover switch
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: HD-61z886
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: it does not come on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I broke the swith a few years ago. I tried to put it back together but I do mot know how to check it. The whole swich fell apart - springs and contacts
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/16/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

That switch can be replaced, but is usually not worth the labor and cost to do so. It is really just there as a safety mechanism, so if you are comfortable with your ability to safely operate the tv (you won't turn it on with the cover removed and look at the light, hurting your eyes), then you can bypass the switch, to do that you'd take the 2 wires that connect to that switch and "jumper them" by stripping back some of the insulation, twisting together, and connecting in a crimp or twist connector, with a bit of electrical tape for good measure.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I will try and let you know. It will not be until tomorrow. Stam

No problem, take your time, and best of luck to you!

Nathan, Installer