Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Its not turning on. on the back I can see a red light but

its not turning on. on the back I can see a red light but can't figure out if someone hit the wrong button or what but it won't come on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: no, never a problem before it a vizio model e420i-b0
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no, other tvs work and no, no button on the remote works as the tv is not on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 2 days now we've done without this tv and the last thing done was my husband turned it off
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, that's it

Hello and sorry you're having problems. The red light on the back is the Optical audio out port and that light should be on. The TV not turning on is caused by a hardware failure in the TV itself in most cases- requiring replacement of the Mainboard, or the Power Supply Board.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (located on the Lower Left hand REAR of the TV), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Please read my reply and try those steps. If they do not work, then please reply back with how old the TV is (less than or over one year from the date of purchase).

Are you able to get any response from the set after performing those steps?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It took 2 tries but it worked. Thanks so much

Excellent and you're very welcome. Could you please click a POSITIVE RATING at the top of the page so that I am credited for working with you?

Are you having problems finding the rating stars on the page?

Do you need further assistance with this?