TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My husband pushed a button on side of the RCA 1080 and there

Customer Question
is no picture or sound...
my husband pushed a button on side of the RCA 1080 and there is no picture or sound. The remote wont even show anything on screen
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: the tv is about 3 years old hold on for model number LED55g55r120q
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: it wont show up either
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: my husband must have got up and pushed all the buttons on the side of the tv
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/13/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Hard to tell what was pressed to cause this, but I need to know if you're referring to the original RCA remote right now that won't show the MENU, or is it the Cable Box remote you're using (this is important)?

Please review my reply and postback to continue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tv remote

Sorry, I'm not available by phone.

Okay, that's bad news since the TV original remote should always display MENU, Input and it's other native functions. This means there is something actually physically wrong with the TV itself at this point (the Mainboard can fail when all of the buttons on the TV are pressed).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and operates normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still nothing just a blank screen

Does the TV actually power up when you press the power button (meaning the power light changes color)? Also does the screen "Light up" at all - meaning it's slightly lighter than if the set were off?

Okay, unfortunately this indicates a failure of the set's Mainboard. This will ultimately require replacement of this part, and is a $225-$250 repair on this set I'm afraid. The ONLY other thing you can try on a user level is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes that it resets.

Alternatively it will require repairs.

If you're looking to do this yourself, let me know and I will search for a link to where you can purchase the Mainboard.

Or, if you're not comfortable with this then a shop can be located using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

I actually was able to locate that board for your set for $60 at the link below if you're interested in the DIY route. No soldering or special tools are needed to replace it (the connectors are all plug in), howeve the rear of the TV must be removed to access the board:

http://ftvparts.com/products/rca-55120re01m3393lna35-i2-main-board-ld-m3393-b-for-led55g55r120q.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAu6DBBRDDr6-e_6698E0SJACvuxnygOGvIOUOwklPDRsEyGGik0RTmRjDsydkt_HzAw2FGxoCb1Hw_wcB

Do you need further assistance with this?

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician