TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

No universal remote wotks with my blackpoint led tv

Customer Question
Hi tim. No universal remote...
Hi tim. No universal remote wotks with my blackpoint led tv
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/12/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model of the tv?
Does the tv respond to its own original factory remote, or to the onboard buttons?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Model: bp31.5dled
No the original factory remote does not work. Seems damaged. The power button (on/off) works well. I can turn off and on. I however mistakenly lock the other buttons. When i press them it says "keyboard lock". Tried a universal remote to search for a code and got :not available. Got mad and throw it in the wall. Trying one from google play store. But no luck. :(

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The emitter has not lit up flash or glow.

Okay so then the remote is defective.

Most Universal remotes are not an option here, they just don't work with the generic/no name tvs like this, they really only work on the most common name brand models. Contacting blackpoint directly to inquire about purchasing a new remote from them is your best bet.

I can offer some alternatives for a different remote that may work, if you prefer though.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Contacting blackpoint is not an option at the moment. What alternative remotes you recommend?

I didn't think it really would be viable either, I'm not sure they are even still in business, and their site is shut down due to malware.

The next best option for a universal would be a logitech harmony (click here for example). It is programmed through your computer, and can do an extensive code search function so it should be able to pick up the tv better than the basic remotes can.

Louie, Technician