TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I just installed the newest slingbox 500,replacing the old

Customer Question
one. The slingbox works fine but...
I just installed the newest slingbox 500,replacing the old one.
The slingbox works fine but the audio no longer comes from the receiver's speakers.
I need to use the TV's remote for volume but no longer get exteral speaker sound from the Yamaha receiver.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
11/10/2016
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

- What type of connection used to connect Slingbox to TV, is it HDMI or five color coded Component Video connection?

- Is there any other video source connected to TV and do you get its sound through external speakers of Yamaha?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Shahid,
Configuration is cable box- slingbox-receiver-tv, not neccessarily connected in that order.
However, to answer your question, I've got 5 color coded wires from the bottom row of the slingbox. The trio of brg and then the rw pair which I understand is for audio. I believe they are connected to the cable box.I also have an HDMI cable from the slingbox to the TV. ( I was told earlier this is only needed for initial config matters, but I left it connected).BTW the SLingbox works fine. They issue is that post install of the new Slingbox, as reported, no sound via thwe receiver.I seem to recall this occurring before but cant pin it down
thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW , I can take picture of the back of the slingbox, if that would help.

A picture would be very helpful to see the connection setup, please provide the pictures.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, the pic is taking a while to get to my regular email from my iphone

No problem, take your time, use Add-File link located below the box where you type the reply to attach the picture files.

Picture isn't helpful so lets try one thing. Can you plug audio cable (red-white) in Audio Out red-white jacks on Slingbox (upper row, near the yellow jack) and plug it in any free audio input of Yamaha receiver, select that input in receiver to get Slingbox sound in external speakers?

Please reply back with the result.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A couple of issues with trying that:
1-Not sure if they will even reach
2-Clearly this wasnt the way it was before and it WAS working before
3-Not easy to try beyond reach problem since I would have to move the reciever out from its space etc
Not really practical, in summary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Another words, it was working before without your proposed switch

ah OK, I never knew it was working fine with same connection setup, this is new info.

Have you tried to reboot Sling box, receiver by unplug power cords from power outlet for 5 minutes, replug back in and check sound?
Also, make sure the receiver has select correct input to get Sling box/ TV sound signals.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I know what the receiver input sh be to get the Slingbox/TV sound?
Also, why would this "input" be different than from the old slingbox, which worked?
BTW the sound using the slingbox works i.e. when I use the IPhone to access the slingbox-of course, in that case, the receiver is not being used because I am remoteMaybe , its worth just unplugging the slingbox to see if the sound on the tv works- I could do that

Are you sure the connections done exactly the same as of old Sling box?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING MAJOR:
When I unplugged the power to the slingbox in testing to see of the TV sound worked thru the receiver....
I was not even able to use the TV ....I had to power the SLingbox back on.This should not be-it means the feed from the cable to the tv is dependent on the slingbox. But the slingbox sh be just another peripheral device.I'm confused

It seems your cable box video signal is routed through Sling box so when you turn it Off, TV gets nothing.

Can you get me the Yamaha receiver model number to see better connection options of things there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Obviously, something changed...nothing with the receiver or its settings
model-HTR-6230
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BTW- I BELIEVE I WAS TOLD THE SLINGBOX DOESNT NEED TO CONN TO THE TV VIA HDMI..this is just for configuration purposes of the slingbox. I could try without that

HDMI out is higher video resolution for better picture and you can get same configuration menu through component video out of Sling box.

Yamaha receiver has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI Out that will go to TV and connect the cable box and Sling box HDMI outs in Yamaha HDMI inputs. All you would need now to select correct HDMI input in TV to get Yamaha receiver output on TV then use Yamaha remote to switch HDMI input to watch cable or Sling box on TV while getting sound through external speakers.

Alternate option is to plug cable box and Sling box HDMI Out into HDMI Inputs of TV, run optical cable from Optical/Digital Out port of TV to Optical Input of receiver (it has 2 optical inputs) and select that input in Yamaha receiver so it can get audio signals from TV to get sound through external speakers, use TV remote to switch HDMI inputs to watch cable or Sling box.

I'm not sure how you connect the things there so try any of above suggestion to connect things in proper way to resolve the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I read your prior note I want to say that I disconnected both HDMI cables (in and out) from the cable box and to the tv.The slingbox is fine,doesnt need hdmi.However , the sound is still a problem to the receiver...so now I wil read you last note and respond
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cant get to the Yamaha for all practical purposes as it is buried in a cabinet with the front facing out, so I cant see the back .I can get to the settings with the remote of the Yamaha. Are there changes to make to the settings that you can direct me to make?
thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can turn the receiver so the back is facing sideways but it is hard to see the whole back and harder to change.
If we can examine the setting remotely that would be ideal

Receiver needs audio signals of Sling box so either connect HDMI out of Sling box into HDMI input of receiver or run audio cable if possible so receiver can get Sling box audio signals, I'm afraid there is no other way around and no way to connect the receiver remotely/ via internal to check the settings as if receive isn't getting audio signals of other device then no setting will work.

I need to go offline now so let me repost this question and another expert will hopefully assist you further. I'm opting out to repost the question.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, what you are saying sounds logical but there isoen mjor fly in the ointment:The other slingbox worked fine as did the audio from the TV up until the day I installed the new slingbox.
NOTHING WAS CHANGED ON THE RECEIVER END.Ergo, no wiring change is needed going forward to the receiver.AS I recall, there may have been a setting that enabled this to work but there is no question, we should not need to rewire the receiver
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One more point:
I think you might be confused because the slingbox audio is not the problem.
In fact, the slingbox audio I assume is coming from the cable box and sent out to the mobile computer.
In any case, wne using the slingbox, the audio is fine.The issue is only the audio when using the tv at home where the speakers conn to the receiver serve a purpose of providing surround type sound.
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician