Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I purchased a Toshiba TV July, 2014. 32L2400U 1080P CS120

Customer Question

I purchased a Toshiba TV July, 2014. 32L2400U 1080P CS120 serial number E10289C11616D1 at Best Buy. My warranty expired 7/2014 and several months later the TV broke. I never received an email or letter asking if I wanted to renew the warranty. Nothing in my junk mail either. I always have received some notification on all my appliances. When I took the TV to the store to have them look at it I found out they had someone else's email and even on my receipt it said Tony Thanks for shopping at Best Buy today. I'd like to know how this happened.
The TV is only 2 years old and I purchased it because I thought Toshiba was a good product. I was told it would cost me around $400 to fix as they thought it might be a mother board or some panels. We get sound but the picture flashes. I didn't pay that much for the TV.
I'm upset as I would have purchased another warranty so it would be covered. Infact, I thought it had a year warranty and then the 2 years I purchased.
Virginia Fulton
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi Virginia,

I can diagnose, explain, and give recommendations about the tv situation, but this is just a tech support service, I cannot control the warranty or any other service offered by best buy. It is an unfortunate situation, but I would have no expectation of them helping with this, the warranties that they offer are not their own, they are through a 3rd party company and they would not issue a retroactive warranty, so you'd be on your own at this point.

Can you tell me more about the tv problem - can you see the menu screens, or do they flash too?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You cannot see the menu screen. The screen is black except for a blue line and some flashing. There is sound.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They told me it could be the mother board at $400. I'll buy a new one somewhere else and not Toshiba.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are indeed symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you wanted to do it yourself, it is possible, the board is only about $50.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $200 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size however, replacement will still make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a better brand, in the $150-200 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,