Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Sharp model LC37PD5X that needs tuning into our local

Customer Question

Sharp model LC37PD5X that needs tuning into our local network here in Cairns band but because we cannot get auto tune using the remote (our original remote was damaged and the replacement which works well in every aspect will not bring up tuning) is it possible to tune our set in some other way?? Thanks...BrianRowan
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model AQUOS LC-37PD5X Purchased 2007
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We don't have any trouble with the set but because of changes to our network we need to tune into all the stations available any other televisions in our household have AUTO TUNE available on their respective remotes
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me the model of the remote that you do have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
remote model GA519WJSB...thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Okay there is no scan button on it of course, but you can do this from the menu.

First use the input button to set the sharp to the TV (not video, hdmi, etc) input mode.

Then, press the Menu button to go into the sharp settings, under the Channel section of the menu, and there you should find auto program/scan, to search for the channels and tune them in.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Good Morning Nathan Thanks for your info which works but only on the old analogue stations that no longer exist. I triedit on input DTV but to no avail. Any other suggestions???.....Brian
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Well in the channel section, you should have an option to choose analog or digital, when scanning, do you see that choice?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nthan there is no choice of analogue or DTV only auto tune stations..??...Thanks...Bfrian
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for checking, that means it is finding them automatically.

But you are still able to run the auto tune from the menu, correct? If so, and it just isn't picking anything up, that is either a limitation of this old tuner no longer being compatible with the current broadcast, most of which are mpeg4 format now, or that the internal digital tuner has failed.

In either case, there is no practical fix for it, repairs would cost more than a new tv.

Other than replacing the tv, your next best option would be to hook up an external tuner instead. You can pick one up for $50 or less at dick smith, harvey norman, etc. Example: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/teac/teac-hdb850-hd-set-top-box/87484/

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,