Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My plasma wont turn on, Panasonic viera the power light just

Customer Question

my plasma wont turn on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Panasonic viera the power light just blinks
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I have no picture never really powers on
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just today but I have been having some other issue that I thought were related to my home theater I just tried to turn it on but nothing
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up and by the way , pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions and suggestions.;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .
Also ,Could you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
panasonic viera plamsa smart tv
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
are you getting this message
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

YES i need time to type

With that blinking light at the front there should be a blink code like for example 7 blinks/pause /7 blinks and so on , give me the count

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
blinking 7 times then pauses and repeats
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Give me a minute to type this down please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it try it again but then we are looking at internal problems with the tv and those older Panasonic plasma were nothing easy to repair , it requires adjustments after most boards replacement and the boards are not cheap .

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

This code points to the power supply or y-sustain boards ,some troubleshooting required to determine which one s and you are looking at some $150 in parts then approx. either ways and approx. the same to have a shop replace them .

This would give you $300 +

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 8 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Sorry , got 2 posts that got crossed info

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks that did not work I will try again and see what happens the tv is only 6 years old
Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Most of the info above is correct except for the age of the tv

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

Try that reset again but otherwise you are looking at some expensive repairs and 6 years is old now for a tv .

Expert:  Jack replied 8 months ago.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time (free of charges) if you have questions or need further help.