How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack Your Own Question
Jack
Jack, Technician
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 9790
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752
Type Your TV Question Here...
Jack is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My vizio stopped responding to the remote and the buttons on

Customer Question

my vizio stopped responding to the remote and the buttons on the TV as well. it will not turn off and I'm afraid to unplug the power cord that it will not turn back on.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 3 yrs, model is E472VLE
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the cable remote works to only change the channels and I cannot control the volume.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it's been a few days and nothing happened, just went to turn the TV off and it wouldnt.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up and by the way , pearl that greeted you is a computer so never mind the odd questions and suggestions.;
You mean that this has ben going on for a few days and the tv is working normal beside the fact that you have no control ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
only changing of channels through Cabell box but no volume control and main remote will not work (brand new batteries) & control buttons on side of TV are not working.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
did you receive the model #??
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Well then it is tricky indeed and i would hate to be the one that deprives you of your tv today but the only way to move forward here is to try a reboot

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

If you`re up to that , Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

No other external ways here and the next step would be to remove the back cover and try to disconnect the remote sensor then the button board and see which one blocks all commands

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I give this an 80% chance that all you need is a reboot but .... there is still that 20%

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this a problem you've been able to correct before? I'm nervous it won't turn back on..
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Yes indeed that is why I give this 80% chance but again I would hate to be proven wrong here .

The next most possible issue beside a freeze is either the button board or remote sensor which is quite common for vizio

If you have a screwdriver handy and can remove the back cover in case the reboot doesn`t do it then either ways you should have your tv today

Working normal or working without remote

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's mounted on the wall where I cannot reach to take the back panel off....
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

At some point you will have to turn off the tv

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
since I cannot remove the panel right now my best bet is to unplug the power and hold the power button for 20 seconds to "reboot"?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

That's correct and you can do this anytime you want , just be ready not to have the tv in case this is more serious than a reboot

Sorry , I wish I could tell you 100% sure that this will work but this is not the case .

You may have to take the tv down from the wall so if you want to wait until a better time ??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I myself cannot take it down, that's my husbands dept but due to work hee hasn't been home in weeks. so when I unplug and hold the power button for 20 seconds how long do I wait to plug back in?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

A couple minutes will do

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm very nervous about this. let me try it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
once I plug it back in the buttons on the TV itself should work?
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Again , please do not if you`d rather wait for your husband to be home

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Yep , it should come back to normal controls

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, I just unplugged and held the power button for 20 seconds...
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then keep your fingers crossed for a couple minutes !

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok now it turns on w the side button only, the remote is not working to it.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

O.k then this is what I suspected and told you above , those tv have remote sensor problems but at least it turns on Ooof !

Do you have control over the sound on the tv itself ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, the sound keeps going soft and then going back to normal.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I will show you what it takes to fix this and if your husband can take off the back cover then you can get away with a $20 or so repair .

Be right back

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll be right back as well. my phone is about to die. have to charge it for a few mins.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Before you do please do take the time to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top of your page, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

This is the board you need to replace ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-3642-0242-0189-ir-sensor.htm

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

That board sits right behind the sensor window at the front and has 1 plug and 1 screw and as you can see cost $10

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Any questions on this ?
Remember that you can come back here at any time after rating (no additional charges) if you have other questions related to that