Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have no sound on my TV. I have a Harmon/Kardon receiver

Customer Question

I have no sound on my TV. I have a Harmon/Kardon receiver and the radio has sound but not TV channels
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: It all channels and my TV in sansui
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 2 days... unplugging and plugging back in
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My receiver is modelmodelAV Ave 1610
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Are you using a Cable/SAT box with the TV?

If so, then the most common cause of a loss of sound is the Cable box processor glitching and dropping the audio.

Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Please review my reply and follow those steps as a first attempt at a solution so we can proceed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I now have no picture or sound.. my Harmon/kardon receiver will not stay on.. it says it is in sleep mode..try the above steps you offered and nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Well that changes things and if your HK receiver will not even STAY ON, then that directly indicates a hardware failure in the receiver, which would have been the root cause of the problem to begin with. Rebooting your equipment does not cause a receiver to start shutting itself down. You have a faulty receiver and will need to have it repaired or replaced.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Those steps are the only thing on a USER LEVEL you can try, and nobody has any way of knowing if your issue goes deeper and down to a component failure level (the receiver not powering up directly indicates this has nothing to do with a reset - and there is a short internal to the receiver). Troubleshooting is trying basics to see what the results are both as a TEST and an attempt at a fix. Unfortunately your HK receiver requires service - which is on average a $200 repair on this unit, or replacement, which may be more cost effective in the long run (since a brand new receiver can be purchased for around $280 and up).

However if you'd like to have the receiver repaired you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if you would like recommendations on a new receiver - let me know what your budget is and I can help with that.

Otherwise I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.