Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We have a 2012 Panasonic TV Model TC-P50U50 SN: MG20730189

Customer Question

we have a 2012 Panasonic TV Model TC-P50U50
SN: MG20730189
for about the last 2 mo we have been having a crackling on our TV screen, we thought it was just the channel but yesterday it seemed to have crashed on us, one minute it was working, next it shut down with a flashing red light on the front. We tried to open and shut down the TV a couple of times. It looked like it was trying to open but then died again. Do you have any thoughts as to what this might be or any ideas we might check on the TV ourselves or do you think it has bit the dust? We appreciate your help, seems this has been our year for repairs, hate to have to buy another TV unnecessarily.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Generally that crackling indicates a hard ware failure (or short circuit) has occurred in the set (Sustain boards, power supply board, or even the screen itself). However that blinking red light is significant - it blinks a code. In order for me to tell you what is causing this, can you please get me the specific blink code the set is giving you (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc.)?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but are you at the set and can you check that blinking pattern, or are you not able?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Generally the common issues with this set (and other Panasonic Plasma sets) are failing Sustain boards, a faulty Power Supply, or in some rare cases the Plasma display panel itself. The average cost for repairs on this model is in the $350-$450 range, and a brand new 50" LED Smart TV starts at around $500 - so repairs are generally not cost effective.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.