Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I reset my TV. I was working and then it was not. I pushed

Customer Question

I reset my TV. I was working and then it was not. I pushed the manual button the TV but nothing happened. Please help
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: insigna 40" and about 4 0r 5 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I will have to go into the living room to check be right back
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Last night and it has never happened before. There is no right light on the front to the TV I pushed menu and all the other buttons but nothing happened
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just want the TV to work
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Can you get the model number off the back of the Insignia set please?

Also, are there ANY signs of life on the TV at all right now (power light, etc.)?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Did you need help with the question that you posted?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
40L2240A3 model number
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

No, that's not a valid model. The 40L looks like it is, but you've got a typo there.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please check again as I can't find anything without the correct model.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Should be something like: NS-40D510NA17

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Also will need to know if any signs of life are visible on the TV as asked.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I'm here to assist you now, but if you're unable to engage at this time, then simply reply back when you are able. I will respond when available.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Could you please recheck the model number of the tv for me, it will be printed on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is the only number on the back accept for 12C19A. There is no life on the TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These insignia tvs are at the bottom end of the quality spectrum, built with low quality parts and designed for short service lifes. It is normal and expected for them to last just a few years at best, ***** ***** actually lasted over doulbe what we expect them to.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, for under $300.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Quite surprised to find out is was a cheapo. Off to but another TV - this time a better quality one.
Thanks <MKV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes this is a cheapo one, I would not recommend them.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2en31Iy

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did'nt get a chance to try your suggestions because the power was off for4 hours. when the power on the tv came back on. So much for my cheap tv. The picture is beautiful. If this a cheap tv I guess I'm getting my money's worth maybe for another 5 years
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear it is back on track for you. The power being out is equivalent to the reset process. It is not likely it will last 5 more years, and ultimately if this issue or others crop up again it would still need to be replaced.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,