Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have faint horizontal lines on screen, panasonic tc-55le54

Customer Question

I have faint horizontal lines on screen
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: panasonic tc-55le54 lcd
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes all sources
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: about a week
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand if you're saying those faint lines are on all sources (meaning you've tried more than just the cable box, and also have it with say a DVD player), then this would indicate the fault is within the set itself (generally caused by a faulty T-con board), then this would require repairs made to the set.

Please do confirm first:

1) What sources are connected to the set (cable/SAT box, DVD, home theater. etc.).

2) Double check all sources (if you have not already).

3) Pull up the set's own MENU and let me know if those lines are in front of or behind the MENU please.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Additionally, please try the steps below and let me know if those lines change or move at all.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up without those lines. Try that procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Has lines with nothing connected and after power up lines are there
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please pull up the MENU. If the lines are behind the MENU, this means your mainboard is faulty, if they are in front of the MENU, then it's your T-con. Let me know please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in front
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Are you looking to replace the T-con and try to fix the set yourself please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay thanks, ***** ***** look for the part now for you.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Okay the T-con board (Panasonic 6871L-2836F (6870C-0402C)) is not showing as in stock through any sources or parts vendors. I would suggest using that part number and periodically Googling or scouring eBay to find a used/pulled replacement. The board itself is plug and play - and is located at the top dead center of the LCD panel, and connects to your Mainboard via two ribbon cables.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just read this while searching for t-con board ????? Horizontal lines on the screen are virtually NEVER caused by a bad T-con board. Horizontal lines indicate a defective LCD panel (screen).
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Possibly, however very thin and faint lines have a GOOD chance of being caused by the T-con and not the LCD panel. The t-con is a $25 gamble and there is no way to test between the LCD screen and the T-con.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thank you for your time
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome and best of luck with the set. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a difference between part # 6871L-2836F and 6871L-2836b
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the part number has to be an exact match for a T-con.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that?