TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony Triniton TV that just went black...no sound no

Customer Question
I have a Sony Triniton...
I have a Sony Triniton TV that just went black...no sound no picture. Had a Comcast try to fix it.. Just the TV ... said it was my TV ..Do I need a tech to try to fix it.? or do I need a new TV. I have the model No KV1967 U2 and serial No.(###) ###-#### HELP
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a SONY AND THE MODEL NO IS KV1967 (U2) And I think it is ten years or less old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Nothing works the screen is black and there is no sound
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This happened Friday Oct 7 it was fine before it just popped and went black
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cant think of anything else. I had contact with Comcast and everything is O>KK with them..They could do no more.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
10/10/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Please tell me if the TV is actually "powering up" when you press the power button, meaning the screen actually clicks and lights up.

Also are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV (Timer/Standby, etc.)?

You mentioned "it popped....". Please elaborate on the POP you witnessed.

Please review my reply and postback to continue.

I am not available by phone. Please simply reply back on this page so we can continue.

I'm not sure why you're unable to reply, but if the set is not powering up at all, and it was after you heard the TV "POP", then this indicates a hardware failure has occurred in the set in most cases. Generally the regulator IC's or the high voltage circuit has failed and requires repairs.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times to see if you get any response from the set.

If it still does not work beyond that, then you're looking at an internal hardware failure that requires repairs made to the set. This is an older Sony CRT (tube TV) and it is not cost effective to repair this older 19" tube TV - with repairs being on average between $150-$250 parts and labor.

A brand new 19" LED TV can be purchased for less than repairing this TV (from Wal-Mart or Best Buy) and is money much better spent.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that? Thanks in advance.

Aric, Technician