TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Have rca whp141 wireless headphones and have them plugged in

Customer Question
to audio out (L&R) to...
have rca whp141 wireless headphones and have them plugged in to audio out (L&R) to my un65ju6700f tv. How do I get the audio to work.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it's a 4k Samsung smart tv and is approximately 1-2 yrs old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: well direct tv decided to eliminate the audio ouputs on its latest receiverbox
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats all
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
10/7/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

The short answer is that you can't use headphones with the tv directly. This is actually the case for most all modern tvs. It can be done, but some additional equipment is required.

The reason for this is that all modern tv's are digital, and because of copyrights and digital rights management/copy protection, the red/white audio out ports are limited. The tv is not able to downconvert the hdmi input from your satellite to that analog format. The audio out ports would work only with an antenna or other analog input. When inputting hdmi, you can only output digital.

The way around this is to use the Digital Audio Out port on the back of the tv. This is a square type port with a little flap/door over it and a red light inside. You connect a fiber optical cable to it. You'll need to purchase a digital to analog converter: http://amzn.to/1VhPiQx . This will convert the optical connection to an analog stereo connection (red/white rca ports). To that, you can then connect rca cables to the base unit for your wireless headphone transmitter.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Nathan, Installer