Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Trying to program Comcast remote to control off/on and

Customer Question

Trying to program Comcast remote to control off/on and volume on our Vizio TV . None of our codes are working. Frustrated
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hello Marilyn,

Can you tell me which comcast remote you have, or how many digits it requires (3, 4, or 5), please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
5
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No more money
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thats fine, you can ignore the automated call ads you are seeing if not wanted, but please give me a few moments to provide you a detailed answer.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Initially, please try 11758.This is the specific IR codeset for your particular tv model.

It is possible, however, that no matter what code is used, your remote will not be able to control the devices you wish to use it with. Cable/satellite/AV Component manufacturers include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility. Comcast remotes have notoriously poor compatibility, especially when coupled with the lower quality/generic brands like vizio. In short, if this code does not work, it means the comcast remote is not capable of working with this tv.

Your best option may be to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes (including the one that came with your system.)

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I not
Very happy
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

I understand your frustration, but please know that this is a comcast problem,

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

This is the only code that will control your tv, and if it does not work it is a hardware limitation of the remote comcast has provided you.

You can ask them for a different model if it doesn't work, or you can get a different remote of your own, but there is no other way to force the comcast remote to do something outside of what it was designed for, and that is comcasts fault.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help which would jeopardize my livelihood.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.