Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

No video, just sound. samsung PN50c680G5F model, 6yrs old. I

Customer Question

no video, just sound. samsung PN50c680G5F model
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 6yrs old. I just typed the model above. PN50C680G5F
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I just got this tv as needing to be fixed so I have never had it hooked up to anything. I may try that but I did try to get the menu up and it doesnt come on.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: see above. dont know. history.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: dont know. I dont know much about it. it powers on and you can hear the samsung music then thats it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello Mike,

so is your intent to try to fix this yourself? Or just finding out what would be involved?
Does sound continue after startup (you'll have to hook something up to test)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I plan on fixing it. looks fairly simply in the design.see no reason I can change out some boards . then I will decide what to do with it..either keep or give to friend.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is anyone here?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I'm here, but please give me time to respond, find parts, etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay just checking. I am sick and not sure how long I will sit here before I have to go lay down and take some meds. dang allergies
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

It is possible, but may not be worth the investment for a 6 year old set, as it is past its service life at this point and plasma technology is now obsolete. For comparison you can get a new set this size (LED) in the $400 range.

Test an input if you can, based on what you've described so far it is a bad Y main as the most likely cause. Look for the larger board toward the top left, and check the ceramic fuse there for continuity, replace and test if that resolves it. If not, replace the board: http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn96-17225a-y-main-board.htm this is the likely part but check board number on your existing one for an exact match and re-search if necessary.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont need another tv..I mainly want to see if I can fix it. I prefer my plasmas to the new stuff. $400 tv doesnt look as good as my other plasmas.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

No the LEDs do not, though the latest OLED is every bit as good as plasma. Regular led does not have the same black and contrast levels. The issue with the old plasmas is ability to find parts, and that even when you do fix it, all the other parts are well past the designed service life and will continue to fail, so just don't expect it to be a long term fix is what I am getting at.

The board I linked to was only about $25, so that is certainly a reasonable fix to try out.