TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Legaly Blind owner bought TV 32" last week. Turned it face

Customer Question
down on something & cracked...
Legaly Blind owner bought TV 32" last week. Turned it face down on something & cracked the screen.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 32" D series D32hn0 I thin Bought last week.k
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: lines With cracked screen you get nothing but crazy
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: you didnt see that the legaly blind lady laid the set face down?
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can it b repaired/ Replaced?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
9/19/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Unfortunately this is not possible to fix.

The lcd screen (panel) cannot be repaired.

The entire lcd panel would have to be replaced, which is virtually never feasible. Vizio screens are nearly impossible to find in the first place, but even if you could the cost of parts and labor would be more than the tv is worth. It would be cheaper to buy a new tv.

Now, you could still try calling vizio, or even trying to deal with the retailer if within their return policy. However both would be expected to deny any coverage or responsibility in the case of physical damage caused by the user. If you tell them what happened, they would not cover it. It wouldn't hurt to check how it was purchased though, if bought on a credit card they often have some type of accidental damage protection that may cover this.

Otherwise, in this instance, you'd be better off buying a new tv. While unfortunate, this may be an opportunity to buy a better quality tv as well, the vizio tvs are very low quality and short lived, and even if this issue had not happened, it would have likely only lasted a few years at best.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2ckLIJg

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not satisfied with answer would like a refund.

I understand your frustration, but it is my obligation to give you an honest answer, even if it is disappointing news.

For comparison purposes, had you taken it to a repair shop, they'd charge you a $100+ diagnostic fee for the exact same information.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your answer was fine. still not satisfied that you cannot return my 5 bucks I'm sorry that I am legally blind and cannot read instructions I'm sorry that I laid it down but to me right now your service is not satisfying me so I thank you

I assure you this has nothing to do with your condition. I work frequently with blind and visually impaired individuals and am an assistive technology expert, but as with all services those too come with a fee. Getting free help for a matter of physical hardware damage just isn't realistic unfortunately and even the manufacturer would be of no help here.

The site has a satisfaction guarantee, meaning you will get a quick and accurate answer. It does not necessarily mean that all issues can be fixed. In cases such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the issue and giving you practical advise for how to proceed. For those reasons, I provided the answer as well as alternate means of getting a refund/exchange and replacement recommendations. Ultimately the payment is up to your discretion and conscience. This is how I make my living, getting only a small portion of your fee for my time. If you opt to ask for a refund, that has the unfortunate effect of forcing me to work for free for my time spent helping you. If that is your wish, you may seek a refund from the help page.

.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer