TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Toshiba 40XV645U no picture no sound power light comes on

Customer Question
and the Toshiba name lights...
Toshiba 40XV645U no picture no sound power light comes on and the Toshiba name lights up
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 40XV645U - roughly 5 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no menu on all inputs - screen does not light up
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: we were watching it about 10 days ago and had been watching a taped show and the TV was on pause and then the screen went off and no sound
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I replaced the power supply board
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Did you have the same symptoms both before and after replacing the power supply?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
prefer to do it this way
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nathan are you there

Yes, I'm here, please allow me time to compose a response.

Ever time you send another message, I have to start all over.

Thanks for confirming,

If the logo comes up initially, the power supply would not be indicated as the primary problem.

That would indicate a faulty main board, which is a common problem with these sets as they age. As a 2009 model that would not be surprising to see, as this set is well past its service life at this point.

You can replace it, a used board is about $100 (which I would not trust) and a new board is nearly $300. I can help with sources for this if you'd like, but honestly I would not consider any investment in this tv to be feasible at this point, you will not extend its life any meaningful amount as other parts will continue to fail. You could get a brand new and better LED tv with a fresh warranty and updated features for $300. I can help with parts or replacement recommendations if you'd like though.

Best regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
already invested $72.00 in power supply - I suspect it was a used board - not worth anymore money

I would agree with that, but you can probably return that board you bought, or at least resell it (ebay, amazon), and in fact you can go ahead and sell off the old board and the tcon too to get a few $ to put toward a new set.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/1RTuctG

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks Nathan will see if they will take this power supply back but shipping costs may not be worth iy

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer