Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Need to figure out how to test the IR reciever from a flat

Customer Question

Need to figure out how to test the IR reciever from a flat screen....i tried original remote, no luck....works on another model tho. Universal remote wont program to it, but same universal programs to other TVs...so im pretty sure its the reciever...i used a digital camera to visibly see the remote outputting signal...is there a similar cheat method to see if the reciever is functioning? Or some visible spectrum indication that its recieving? If not, or in addition to, how do i test the actual
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 11 months ago.

Hello Ed

No way to check the receiver you will need to get it out resolder the connections on the board and try again, if no good you will need to replace the IR receiver board partnumber will be found on the board itself ,they are usually very cheap though

Let me know if you need more help

Anthony

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have been seeing some people are using LEDs wired to the reciever in some kind of setup that they will light up when triggered, or no light if faulty...how does all that work?

I cant see how that can happen because the LED needs 0.6vdc to switch it on, its a diode unless its with a battery a simple battery powered signal input board but Ed honestly we dont get involved with all that the text book way to check it is with an oscilloscope however no tech would even do that because 95% of the time there is no action from the set when using the remote (remote eliminated) its the receiver board having said that I have had a lot of success just re-soldering all the connections on the receiver board because what happens is the joints become brittle due to "RF fraying"

Anthony

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Copy that. Didnt look like there were any loose solder joints, but cant hurt to give it a shot before I order a new one. Are the eyes themselves pretty easy to source? We have a couple parts warehouses here with VAST inventories...

I don't think there will be a part-number for the eye itself I myself have never replaced one because the board is so cheap to buy, yes the joints can look OK but you still need to flow solder over each joint

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Gotcha, will do soon as I get home, and then if it doesnt help ill just order the board. Are those little fuses on that board worth checking? I tried to do it on ohms setting, and for some reason it doesnt seem to work.

There should not be any fuses ion the ir board Ed no need for fuses on that board unless the board is somehow integrated into the function board?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I dont think ao...cant remember exactly but i think its just ground & power, maaaybe another but i cant remember. Couldnt see where the harness lead was coming from, but i cant imagine its anything complicated. Lol, that would explain why I couldnt get it to zero out, if it wasnt a fuse

No there will be no fuses on that board let me know if you need more help

Anthony

Ed I would be grateful if you would rate this please thank you

Anthony

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay....busy couple of days. S9 i reflowed the solder, no luck. I checked for continuity between solder joint and component pin on the 4 joints for harness and 3 joints for the actual eye...would they be good if they show continuity? I ordered another ir reciever, but just curious how to test. Also, I noticed something kind of strange on the main board where this harness plugs in...so its a 4pin harness connection, only 3 of which are actually used...but one of them, the red (im guessing power) has very littlw or no solder on the socket pin that is on the main board...does that sound normal to you? Is there ever a case where a socket pin that does have a wire being used on it would NOT be soldered onto the board? Seems odd to me, but maybe theres a common explanation for it that im just not familiar with. Should i resolder that pin onto the board? I dont wanna shirt the main by soldering something I shouldnt....I can send u a close up pic if youd like.

Ed I don't know without actually looking at it, the way to test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8OxSebL0SE <CLICK

I would not personally get involved with all that just to test an IR receiver but if you wish to do that.....

Please take a photo of the none soldered pin