Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

TV will not turn on Plugged it directly into a working

Customer Question

TV will not turn on Plugged it directly into a working outlet and hit the power button on the TV but it won't work
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

2) Roughly how long have you owned the set for?

3) Are there any signs of life at all on the TV (power light lit or blinking, etc.)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
KDL-40V5100 2009 no lights
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. The lack of a power light on the set, generally points to the internal Power Supply Board failing- and requiring replacement.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nothing happened. Does a power board start to fail gradually or just bam, done.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and there is no _one-shot" mode of failure for the power board- they can act up for a period of weeks before failing, or just simply go out (shorted IC or capacitor, etc. will simply die without warning). If the symptoms are the same, then unfortunately the Power Supply Board in the set has failed (the most common failure with these sets) and needs to be replaced. If you, or someone you know is a DIY type and can remove the back of the TV, the board itself is "plug and play" (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it) and can be located at the link below for your set for just over $50:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-857-093-11-g-board.htm

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, a shop will typically charge close to $250 parts and labor for this repair, which is on the cusp of being more cost effective to replace versus repairing it (a brand new 40" LED TV can be purchased for around $275 these days). However if you'd like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the light on the HDTV DVr went on and then went out again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the light on the HDTV DVR went on in mode and then for TV1 but then went off again. What does that mean
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay, well something is still wrong it could be the power board or the mainboard. It's easier to diagnose if the light goes out and stays out. That said there still is not a quick fix for this, your set has a hardware defect and it requires repairs.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome and sorry for the bad news on this one. If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?