TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I dont have a remote and the tv is stuck in key lock

Customer Question
i dont have a remote and the tv is stuck in key lock
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
8/29/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What is the make/model of the tv?
Do you have any remote?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no remote and how do i know the model?
snaky class #16 LED Colour TV
CLED-16A01
L.A.MV9.1
LK-SP103602A
These are all the numbers on the back

None of that looks quite right, model should be on a sticker on back of the tv, along with the serial number.
What is the brand of the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The brand is SANKEY
and I gave you all the numbers from the sticker on the back
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know why they charged me the full fee before my question was answered

Yes, because that is how the site works, you pay your deposit to post your question, and the balance upon corresponding with an expert, which includes our conversation up to this point.

I needed the other details before I could provide an answer, thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ah ok so now what?

Press and hold the power button on the tv for 10 seconds to reset,

if it still will not respond then the key lock function is set from the menu and can only be accessed via remote. The only option at that point is to purchase a replacement remote, and I'll get you a link to a compatible model.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is only a standby button not power button

It is the same thing

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is really quite a scam, and at this point I would not trust purchasing a remote from you not to mention I am in a place where I cannot buy another remote.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How disappointing!! OF you to represent yourselves in this way.

I am not selling you a remote, I would provide you with a link to a retailer where you could order one online, if the reset process does not resolve the issue.

I am not representing anything, and am not sure what you are expecting. The key lock function exists for a reason, and if it was set is not a simple function to remove, the remote is necessary for that purpose and that is not something that I or anyone else can change. I can only diagnose and explain the problem/reason, and tell you what is necessary to resolve it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you assure me that my card will not be charged anything else.
I think that this is a question often asked and therefore you are well aware it cannot be resolved with the standby reset.
I expected satisfaction which is what was stated when I signed up

You would not be charged anything additional if you did not sign up for a monthly membership, from what I can see (I'm an independent tech, not a site employee) you are not.

This is a somewhat common problem, but there are different options depending on the tv. I could not tell from the original question, without knowing the make/model of the tv, what that option would be.

The site has a satisfaction guarantee, meaning you'll get a quick, honest, and accurate answer. It is not possible to guarantee a fix for every situation, and in your particular case this is a limitation of the tv hardware and the design of the manufacturer.

Would you like help finding a suitable replacement remote?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I am in Costa Rica and ordering/sending one here is not possible

There are always options for that, ordering online via mail, using a freight forwarding service, etc.

There are some other reset steps we can attempt as well, but if the first route didn't help, they are unlikely to help either, but it doesn't hurt to try if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure I will try all, I don't think ordering it online would work and actually I did try to use a universal remote with no luck

What remote do you have? I may be able to help you with some alternate codes to try.

For the other reset process:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have the remote anymore unfortunately
Ok I will try that

Do you have any other remote, perhaps a cable/satellite remote that we could try to program?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope I have an iPad would that work?

No because the ipad does not have an infrared emitter, though if you can receive mail/shipments, you can purchase an infrared emitter dongle that can plug into the headphone or charge ports. Same issue there I assume as with just buying a remote?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found a Sankey remote can you give me directions with that please

Good morning, sorry I missed you earlier.

Is the remote able to control tv functions (power, volume, menu, etc)?

Do you need help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no the tv is not responding to it at all

Then it is not the correct remote (or is defective) and would not work here, which would still leave you having to buy the correct replacement remote to work with the tv.

Nathan, Installer