Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

It cut out, and the red light on the front is blinking. I've

Customer Question

It cut out, and the red light on the front is blinking. I've tried unplugging the power cord , and it does the same thing
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: It just happened
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Contacting you
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that's it
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) What is the model number off of the back of the TV?

2) Roughly how old is the TV?

3) Is the light blinking continuously, or in a pattern (for example: 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, etc.)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
7 blinks, then a pause.
It's about 5 years olds
TC P42C2
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. The 7 blink code on a Panasonic set points to a failure occurring with the Plasma display processing, and is not uncommon after several years (as these sets run hot and use very high voltages to produce the picture). In most cases- I have to honestly tell you, this does require repairs be made to the set to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Are you able to get any response at all from the set- screen lights up, etc.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope. Thanks for your advice
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and this is not uncommon at all when plasma sets get on in years. The average lifespan for these sets is between 5-7 year. This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $250-$300 to have repaired.
The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $400 parts and labor.
Given that a brand new 42" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.
However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?