Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

New Vizio tv hooked up with Coax cable. All I get is a lot

Customer Question

New Vizio tv hooked up with Coax cable. All I get is a lot of snow fuzzy sound.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Out of the box yesterday.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I hooked up the old Vizio to the same cables to be sure the cable weren't bad and it worked fine.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) What is the model number off the back of the Vizio?

2) What is connected to the other end of that coax cable (HDTV antenna, Cable Box, DirecTv, etc.)?

3) Did you perform any sort of setup on this Vizio after connecting the cable?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

If you can reply back to the info requested I can get you setup and on your way. Let me know if you'd like help with this.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
D32x-d1. Yes I have it hooked to wifi and went.through set. Coax cable and directives -twice. When it scanned for channels it just came up with 10 analog channels. I do not have high def
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Give this a try first.
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

There's two ways to scan for channels- selecting "AIR" and selecting "Cable". I cannot understand what you're saying here: "Coax cable and directives -twice."

What signal is this please? Cable? Antenna? Satellite?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Satellite direct tv
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

You need to select "AIR" or "Antenna" when you run your scan- not cable. Did you do this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not I picked satilite
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
There was no listing for air.
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Okay, you said the TV picked up some analog channels. Put the TV on one of those Analog channels and see if there is an image- make sure your Satellite box is turned ON. You do have a DirecTv BOX connected to this set correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

When you run a scan using a coaxial cable from a DirecTv box, the TV should pick up one or possible a few channels. You need to put the TV on that channel to see the DirecTv image and then use the DirecTv remote to change channels- since the channels are changed in the box- not the TV. Let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It is hooked to box and turned on I am getting a channel I get on direct I recognize the voice.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It comes up at the top of the screen "cable" not what it was set pn
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Are you ONLY USING A SINGLE COAXIAL CABLE from the DirecTv box to the Vizio?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
on this box
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Okay good. Please read this below:

Your TV shows clearly in it's manual that it has optioned for "Antenna" or "Cable" in the Channel Source menu- there is no satellite in this particular menu which leads me to think that you may not have setup the channel scan correctly.

Please click the link below and scroll to page 43. Select ANTENNA and then run a channel scan. ONE channel should show up and that is the channel you leave the TV on, then you use the DirecTv remote to change channels as usual.

https://cdn.vizio.com/documents/d32hd1/um-d32hd1.pdf

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I' m not paying that much.
Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

I'm not offering that - the site is automtically doing it. You can ignore it.

It will be under "Channels", then "Channel Source"- that is where you have the option to select "ANTENNA".

Then run the scan. Page 43 of the manual above.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Are you having problems finding that menu where you can select antenna?

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 12 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.