TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Samsung 8 series led tv, when it heats up a little the top

Customer Question
half goes fuzzy...
samsung 8 series led tv, when it heats up a little the top half goes fuzzy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/13/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out, Matt.

Could you give me the full model number of the tv, please?
Does this happen on all inputs/sources?
Does it also affect the samsung menu screens?
Does it improve eventually, or only after powering off and cooling down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the top half goes cloudy after a few minutes
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: ill send you through a picture
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none as of yet
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: how can i send you a picture

Thank you for that information, can you please send me the above requested info as well? You can also upload a photo with the paperclip/attach icon.

Does this happen on all inputs/sources?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ua55d8000
affect all scenes including menu
only goes away if you turn tv off and cool down but coming back pretty quick when used again

Thank you for confirming,

that can be a hardware issue (thermal fault, bad solder joints, etc), or it can simply be from contamination that is causing over heating.
Vacuum off all the external vent holes, and blow it out as best you can with compressed air. If you are up for it, removing the back cover would facilitate this more easily (carefully, power unplugged, no hdmi connected).

If no change, we'll address hardware issues next.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
R u there?

Yes I'm here, your replies have just come through.

I'm seeing a pink stripe on the left side of the tv, is that always there, or was it just that particular show/image?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, it is there sometimes but not alway, depends on what is on the tv.

Both issues are pointing to a faulty tcon board as the primary suspect here, though it could be the main as well.

Is this something you are looking to repair yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm pretty handy.. what do i do? as i said, i only happens after a few minutes of being turned on..
so I'm guessing something is getting hot!

Yes it is a thermal fault, but the underlying circuit board would need to be replaced.

If comfortable doing that yourself and the part can be found it may be worth it.

If not, based on the age of the tv, it isn't worth fixing - you could buy a new one for less than the cost of repairs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you advise on which part to buy? it a great tv thats all!!

Yes searching for it now

I'm having trouble finding anything, probably because you're in AU.

Can you take the back panel off, and look at the board at the top in the middle, that is the one we're looking for. It should have a board number marked on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are three, a small on in the middle at the bottom, a large one on the top right and a medium on the left
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
whats your email address and ill send you a photo of back

We can't do email, but you can attach here same as you did before.

The main board is the one with the input ports

power board is the one with teh power cord

and the remaining one is the tcon

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gotcha, which one do you need?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tcon right?

the tcon

Yes it is the one in the middle, but I need a closeup of that board please to see the markings on it so I can get a part number, then hopefully find a part source.

No it should not matter, we are matching actual part numbers, I saw S240LABMB3V0 on your bard, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do i change over..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just looked at TV and it is back to being perfect again... Does that explain anything?

Only that it is an intermittent fault, and with having the back off it can probably breath a bit better and keep cool.

The old board comes out with a few screws and wiring harnesses, it doesn't need any soldering, it is a plug and play part.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok.. ill order and contact you when received..

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Nathan,Have changed the Tcon, it is now worse. right side of screen now content vertical banding for 6 inches. and old problem comes straight away now....

When you got the board, was it from ebay and did you confirm with the seller that it was for the 55"?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was the one which you recommended and it did say it was for a 42 inch but you said the part number was the same as the one i already had..

Well if the part number matched exactly, it should be fine, but the listing does specify that the seller had ones pulled from both sizes; to rule out the possibility of a difference (even though the part numbers look to be the same) I'd contact the seller to see if you can exchange it for the other, which will also help as a verification step just in case this board is faulty by chance. If still no change after that, then this is looking more like a panel fault.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about you contact the seller, your the one that told me to buy that one, i quizzed you about the size and you said it would make no difference as it was the same part number..

I said it would not matter if the part number was an exact match. I don't have your board in front of me to verify those, and the listing gives options to choose either.

If there is a different prefix/suffix accounting for the size, then that is what is to be used.

I cannot contact the seller.

Since he has multiple items listed, I would not expect any difficulty in exchanging it, which is a worthwhile step even if it were the exact match up front, simply to isolate the possibility of the new board having a fault of its own.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let me get this right, you tell me buy the part,... i buy the part.. it makes it worse and now your brushing you hands of it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
eBay
Hi Great - Your order has shipped to The Golf Boutique.Original T-Con Board Samsung S240LABMB3V0.7 BN41-01663 BN41-01663A For 46'' TV
Estimated delivery : Thu. 25 Aug. - Wed. 31 Aug.
Tracking Number : LX122488945CN
Postage service : USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box
Item # : 262152303911
Transaction ID : 1867383698016
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it says its for a 46inch?

No, I'm not brushing my hands of it, I'm telling you that in the listing he gives an option for another size as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That was only just put up!!

I'm not sure what you mean, but please remember this is a diagnostic process as well, and the tcon is not even the only possibility, just the most likely failure point. If one board doesn't work, we move on to testing another.

Nathan, Installer