TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

The screen goes dark and then black but sound still works.

Customer Question
Is worse with dark colour...
The screen goes dark and then black but sound still works. Is worse with dark colour images. When you go back to the home screen the then back to hdmi it will work again but only for a while. Lg 70LB6560 3D tv
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Yes, it's been happening for a couple of months now and happens each day. We have had times we have been away and not used the tv for a couple days. Sometimes it's not too bad but others is every few minutes
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We did get a tv repairer out to look but he really seemed uninterested and just said it was a faulty screen. I don't understand how that can be when the colour and the picture are perfect then a show will come on with a dark night time scene and the screen goes black but after going back to the home screen and then back to Hami on a brighter show its fine
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/9/2016
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hi, I'm Nathan.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Does this happen on all sources/inputs?
Does it affect the LG menu screens also?
If you hold a flashlight to the screen (while dark) can you see the image better that way?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Sometimes spending on what is on t.v. If it's a really bright show you can sometimes. The screen does this when the are dark colours from either a shows picture or some home pages
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just tried the torch thing again. You can't see the picture corals but you can see shapes of people moving.

Thank you for confirming.

Do you ever see any lines (vertical or horizontal) among the picture, or is the picture quality always good and clear, with the exception of the brightness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Always clear

Okay that can come from the internal power supply, which drives the led backlighting,

if you've had a tech out already, he should have checked that though, and if he did and found no problem with it, it would then leave a fault in the led strips, which are inside the screen. That is likely what he meant about the screen being faulty. The boards can be replaced, the actual led array is a different story and generally not feasible to repair. It would cost more to fix it than it would to buy a new tv. It wouldn't hurt to have another tech out for a 2nd opinion if you didn't trust the first guy, but if the board was bad he would have no reason to tell you otherwise as he isn't making a living by not repairing it and selling you the parts.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I just am having trouble understanding when it works fine watching the football for example and will run incident fee for over 4 hours but watch game of thrones and it does it every 2 a 3 minutes.

I certainly understand how frustrating that type of issue can be especially when it is intermittent. When you are saying football works but GOT doesn't, are these coming from different inputs/sources? Ie: aerial/cable versus roku/streaming/etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No both through a cable and all devices are through a power surge protection board as well.

Thanks for confirming. Happening on the internal menus does still confirm it is an LG fault though, and does bring us back to a repair/replacement decision.

I can try to help you find another tech to check it out if you'd like, but it does sound like a panel/led issue at this point, so having another person out will only incur more diagnostic fees.

Do you need more help with this?

Nathan, Installer