Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Coby 3227 does not power on and does not have standby light

Customer Question

coby 3227 does not power on and does not have standby light
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ashley and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, is the Coby completely / electrically dead?

Have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time? And then plugging back in but using a different power source / outlet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried unplugging for a day or so and retrying . I also tried a different outlet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Tv itself shows no sign of power
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand and this would indicate an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir I am .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking it has to be two thing ..either the power cord or the power board . Do you have any other suggestions \?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great on the DIY Ashley!

Do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Post back with a clear picture of the insides of the TV with the back cover off. Please click HERE.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

And agree on the two (2) likely suspects.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already removed the board . I am not sure if my meter is here .. but Give me a second to get you pictures of the board
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

No prob.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the board (top view)
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the picture.

First test is on the power cord. Set the multi-meter to Ω and test the continuity of the 2 prongs of the AC plug to the 2 pins of the connector to the power supply board's AC INPUT:

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Give me a few
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please; when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the meter is on Ω I only .99 and 1 . when checking the voltage on the is the v~ i get 121.7 -121.8 . the voltage does fluctuate alot when first plugged in .
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

With the meter set to Ω, what is the reading when the red probe is touched to the black probe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0.00
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Red probe to 1 of the prong of the AC plug and the black probe to 1 of the pins of the connector to AC INPUT. What is the reading please?

Try the other

And then repeat with the other prong.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still only get 1 . I showed -9.09 for a second or two and went back to1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a new cord a few days ago . I just put it on and the same thing is happening .
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand. With the power supply board unplug; how about the fuse; leg-to-leg, what is the resistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie , I went over to my buddy that has a working model like mine ..we used the power supply board and still nothing . what else could it be working board working power cord
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Let's try again the earlier request; "...Post back with a clear picture of the insides of the TV with the back cover off..."