TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Sony KDL-65W850A, has 3 blinking red lights. I have

Customer Question
Hi, My Sony KDL-65W850A, has...
Hi, My Sony KDL-65W850A, has 3 blinking red lights. I have replaced all 7 of the boards (2 power, vle emi, led driver, t-con, k board, and the main board. The only difference is the main board is a A-1957--649-A which I understad is the same as the A-1971- 792-A. I still have a blck screen and 3 blinking lights. Any suggestions?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 2 weeks, but boards have been replaced as a on-going process
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: All of the standard Sony recommendations many times
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I believe i've stated everything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Original board is a A-1971-792-A (1-889123-21) replacement board is a A-1957-649-A (1-889-123-21)
8/7/2016
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 1 year ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi there

Did the TV suffer any kind of damage, e.g. from a power outage or thunderstorm?

Were all of the replacement boards new or used?

Approximately how old is the TV?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, (1). TV is 18 months old. (2). All of the boards were new except 1 Power Board and the Main Board. Both of these boards were tested before they were installed and worked, plus finding a new Main Board for this set is impossible. (3). I live in the Mid-West, where thunderstorms are frequent in the summer, but, I don't think my house was hit by lightening and the TV was protected by a APC surge protector. The TV was on when it stopped working and it was raining at the time. We were next door at a friends home for about 1/2 hour and when we returned the TV was dead. I know this is long winded, but, i'm trying to give you all the relevant facts. Please help as this is too good of a TV to throw away. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it's not one of the boards, what else is could cause this problem?

Thanks for the detailed information, it is helpful.

Were all boards replaced at the same time, or one by one?

If there was a short on one of the original boards (e.g. on the T-Con or Main board) and it caused the Power board to blow, then if you had simply gone ahead and replaced the power board, it may have blown again.

To troubleshoot further you will need schematics and some electronic test equipment, to follow the circuit and locate the fault.

If you need a copy of the service manual, it is available from:

http://www.manualsparadise.com/service-repair-manuals/Sony/KDL-65W850A-KDL65W850A/RWSPFM-45568678-1

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete, The Power Boards were replaced first and the set was turned on to no change.Then the: vle emi, led driver, t-con, k board, all together. Again, power was supplied and there was no change. Lastly, the Power Board was replaced and when the set was turned on, I could hear the thump sound the TV normally makes on start-up and the normal white light came on for about 3-5 seconds. Then the white light stopped and was replaced by the 3 blinking lights again. I am undertaking this project by myself because my insurance company states that the Main Board for this unit is unavailable and therefore this TV is not repairable. As I stated before, this TV is way too good to simply throw away. By replacing the boards in the order i used, is it possible to have damaged any of the replacement boards as you suggested and if so, which board(s) should be replaced? Thank you for all of your help. Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes it is possible that some of the boards have been damaged if replaced in that order.

To find out, you will need schematics and some electronic test equipment, to follow the circuit and locate any faults.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pete, Schematics are not needed on this unit as the layout is very simple and very easy to replace boards. Your answer does not seem to address my direct question as to the order of replacing the boards. "The Power Boards were replaced first and the set was turned on to no change.Then the: vle emi, led driver, t-con, k board, all together. Again, power was supplied and there was no change. Lastly, the Power Board was replaced and when the set was turned on, I could hear the thump sound the TV normally makes on start-up and the normal white light came on for about 3-5 seconds. Then the white light stopped and was replaced by the 3 blinking lights again." While I understand that you cannot be an expert on all TV's and probably have never seen a Sony KDL-65W850A layout, I expected a better answer than "you will need schematics and some electronic test equipment, to follow the circuit and locate any faults." for my $28.00. Gary

Hi Gary,

Apologies for any confusion - I mean you will need the circuit diagrams, not the layout, as you will need to debug at component level if you wish to troubleshoot further. Do you have the circuit diagrams for the boards?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, but, simply following the leads from the power boards (2) to the main board is pretty straight forward.

Indeed it is; however the fault will not be located there - it will be among the thousands of electronic components across the various boards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess your saying, that the simple answer, is to simply replace all of the boards again all at once and the set should work again as long as all the boards are ok.

No; sorry if I am not being clear - what I am trying to say is that each board needs to be tested at component level first to determine if it has shorted out and is going to blow the other boards, then once you find the faulty board it can be replaced.
The only way to do this is by testing at component level using test equipment and circuit diagrams.

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete, I'm having a problem with your generic responses to my problems with my Sony KDL-65W850A. Answers like "you will need schematics and some electronic test equipment". When I describe, in order, what has transpired with each step of my attempts to find the problem, you seem to fall back on "each board needs to be tested at component level first to determine if it has shorted out and is going to blow the other boards, then once you find the faulty board it can be replaced", even when I suggested again replacing all of the boards (obviously, with new boards) all at once. And, you seem to totally ignore the significance of the (3) blinking lights and their meaning. I can understand that you probably have no immediate knowledge of a Sony KDL-65W850A, but, a simple response of which boards would be most likely affected by a power surge and in which order to replace them would have been most helpful. There are only (7) boards in this unit, so your suggestion of checking " the thousands of electronic components across the various boards" would take the time and equipment not available to most non Engineers. I would be more than happy to give you a high rating if you could respond to my specific questions " Pete, Schematics are not needed on this unit as the layout is very simple and very easy to replace boards. Your answer does not seem to address my direct question as to the order of replacing the boards. "The Power Boards were replaced first and the set was turned on to no change.Then the: vle emi, led driver, t-con, k board, all together. Again, power was supplied and there was no change. Lastly, the Power Board was replaced and when the set was turned on, I could hear the thump sound the TV normally makes on start-up and the normal white light came on for about 3-5 seconds. Then the white light stopped and was replaced by the 3 blinking lights again." While I understand that you cannot be an expert on all TV's and probably have never seen a Sony KDL-65W850A layout, I expected a better answer than "you will need schematics and some electronic test equipment, to follow the circuit and locate any faults." for my $28.00. Thank you, Gary

I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem with my answers.

I will opt out of your question and another expert may be along shortly.

Pete.

TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 1 year ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello Gary, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help. Please reply back if you still need assistance.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, Are you able to read my previous correspondence? If so, my questions should be obvious. Which boards should be replaced and in what order?

Yes, I can see previous conversation in this thread.

Just to clarify, TV power light is still blinking 3 times, correct?

Thanks, ***** ***** power light flashing indicates audio error and possible cause is shorted speaker or wire connecting speakers is touching/ crushed to metal chassis of TV (ground) and causing short.

Please unplug connector of speaker from K board, replug TV power cord and turn it On.

Does the power light still flashing 3 times?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know where you're getting this information, but, on a Sony KDL-65W850A, (3) red blinking lights indicate either a Power Board or Main Board failure.

Gary, I'm a Sony tech and have related service manual for troubleshooting purpose.

3x red flashing light doesn't indicate power board failure, however, main board could be bad, 3 times flashing error code is audio-protection.

Since you have already replaced all of the boards in TV so I requested to please check connecting wire from K board to speakers to make sure it isn't pealed off that can caused short and activate audio-protection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked all of the suggested wiring and all wiring and connections are secure (as from factory) with nothing touching any bare metal. I appreciate your trying to help, but, the speaker wiring is seems not to be the problem. If you read part my original explanation, the problem was problem was probably caused by a power surge.

Can you unplug connector from K board that goes to speakers then turn On the TV as a test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will do that now.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No difference, still the three blinking red lights. Also, nothing happens when I try to power on the set with the remote or the sets power button. No "thump" the set usually makes when turned on, no white light on the bottom of the set indicating the set is on, nothing but the (3) blinking red lights.

OK, you wont get usual thump sound as long as red light is flashing which indicates TV is in protection mode.

- Have you unplugged the TV power cord while disconnecting speaker connector from K board and replug power cord back in then press power button to turn On the TV?
- If so, please disconnect other connectors of K board and check again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K board disconnected both from speakers and from power board. plugged in and power button on TV was pressed. Nothing but 3 blinking red lights. I then unplugged and tried again, nothing but 3 blinking red lights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

OK, as per website rules I'll send phone call service offer as you requested, feel free to ignore if you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in text chat format.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had no idea it would cost more so i respectfully ***** ***** phone offer.

No problem, we can still work here. Please give me few minutes to check the manual again.

Thanks for waiting. Have you tried to update TV firmware (internal software)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the latest update on a usb drive, but, when i plugged it in nothing happened. Just (3) blinking red lights. This TV is one of the all-time great sets, beautiful colors, and excellent picture. I think it's worth saving. But, I'm ready to pull my hair out trying to repair this set. You probably know that trying to find a Main Board for this set is practically impossible and by replacing all of the boards you would think the problem would be solved. Something has to work!!!! Sorry for the rant, but, it's very frustrating.

I understand the frustration. Where did you get the replacement main board from and was that reliable source?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got the board from TVPartsGuy in Ca. The board is guaranteed and was supposedly removed from a working TV with a cracked screen.

OK, then replacement main board should work.

Can you check 12V DC at K board coming from power supply board?

12V may appear for a second when press power button or replug TV power cord in so get ready the meter then replug power cord to see any reading on meter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not see a place to insert the probe to get a reading. Probably my inexperience showing.

I'm working on K board image to assist you for volt reading, give me 10 minutes please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate your help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great picture, thanks. With pos. probe on far right line and neg. on chassis as ground, nothing registered when power button pushed on set. Tried many times.

12V should be available at pin 1&2 of that connector when plug TV power cord in.

If power light start flashing right away when replug TV power cord in then the main board is suspected and should be tested in similar model working TV as if TV turns On and then switches Off after few seconds with flashing 3 times light then it could be bad speakers, connecting wires or K board internal issue.

Can you try old K board in TV as a test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try it now. The TV does not turn on. The red light starts blinking consistently 3 times within 3 to 5 seconds after plugging the TV in. The only time since it initially died that there was a thump (which is normal when the set turns on) and the white light appeared for a few seconds was when I replaced the Main Board. This only lasted a few seconds and then the red blinking light came on with 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks etc, etc , etc. Could it be a bad power board (2) or main board?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Success! I just tried to measure the voltage on the K board again and this time got 12.3V. Unplugged and re-plugged set this time instead of using the sets power button.

If the red light starts blinking consistently 3 times within 3 to 5 seconds after plugging the TV in then K board or speakers or connecting cables are most likely bad and main board is least likely defective.

Nice, that means power board is working and providing 12V to K board for audio amp chips.

Please try old K board in TV while leave the speaker connector unplugged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Trying now

OK, take your time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I replaced K board with original board, plugged in TV and after a few seconds got 1 quick red blink and then after 3 to 4 seconds 3 blinking red lights constantly.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Speaker connector was left unplugged

I'm sorry at this point as I'm out of ideas what it could be so let me repost the question for other experts to have a look and hopefully some one will respond to assist you further.

I'm opting out to repost the question.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Shahid, for trying
TV Technician: Jason Jones, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Jason Jones, Customer Service

-

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Jason, Any help would be greatly appreciated and please read the copious amount of previous email exchanges to get up to date. As there are only 7 boards associated with this set, I hope we can figure out which one is the problem or do you have any better ideas. This Sony KDL-65W850A is only a year and a half old and has the best HD picture i have ever seen. It would seem a terrible waste to simply throw it away even though trying to find a replacement Main Board is next to impossible. Thanks Gary

Hello Gary,

I am very sorry. Me posting on this page was a mistake, earlier. Please, ignore my post. The website posted it on this page instead of another.

Another person will continue with you.

- Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is any technician going to reply???
Jason Jones, Customer Service