TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

How do I set up headphones to my Samsung 55" curved screen

Customer Question
9500 series tv with the...
How do I set up headphones to my Samsung 55" curved screen 9500 series tv with the connect one box? I purchased a digital optical audio cable and a optical coaxial digital connector box. No sound is heard. Help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info.

1) Right now is there sound from the TV speakers? Have you gone into the MENU to shut them off?

2) Please elaborate as there are many: ptical coaxial digital connector box, what is the brand and model of that box?

3) What headphones do you have- are they wired or wireless?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is sound from the tv speakers. The tv is for my mother who has had a stroke and can hear better through a head set. Best Buy sold me an insignia optical/coax digital to analog converter box and an insignia digital optical audio cable. I believe I hooked it up correctly to the one connect box on the tv but I get no sound. The headphones are Sony wireless MDR-RF985R

Okay, since you have sound coming from the TV speakers- this means you haven't enabled the optical output on the TV. You first need to go into the Samsung's MENU under audio/sound and select "optical" as the audio output. Please do that and then let me know if you have sound.

Also, you will not have control over the volume of the headphones in this method- the optical out is a "fixed" audio output- meaning it's volume cannot be changed.

Once those steps are done, please reply back.

In the TV it's "Settings----->Sound----->Sound Output".

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that. No sound from tv or headphones

Okay, then that converter that BB sold you, or the optical cable is faulty. Those settings enable the optical out on the TV so there is another problem. Let me ask you this- what "source" is it you're trying to get the sound from (in other words- Smart Hub APPS, cable box, SAT box, etc.)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cable box

How is the cable box connected to the TV- is it HDMI?

Also on the back of the box, do you see a set of red and white RCA audio jacks?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HDMI connection and there are Rica jacks on the box

Please try connecting the headphone base directly to the cable box red and white jacks (remove the optical cable, converter and those connections first). Use the included red and white to stereo single plug that comes with the headphones. Let me know if you have sound.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still get no sound

Where did you buy those headphones from? Are they brand new? Something is wrong.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are fairly new. Worked fine until we bought this new tv

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out of the question. It is now open for other experts to view and assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Aric. My husband came home and we went through everything again and he got sound. Thanks for the try. Vicki
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Do you need more help with this Vicki? If so, there are a few settings we can adjust on the tv.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks but we finally got it working. Appreciate you getting back to me

You're very welcome.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan, Installer