Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Remote doesn't seem to work, and the panel is on when I try

Customer Question

Remote doesn't seem to work, and the panel is on when I try to use it manually. No idea how panel lock was set.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Happen about 6 weeks ago, but have been busy but would like to sort it as children now on school holiday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: All manual buttons react the same " panel lock"
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: If he can sort TV and remote that would be great
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: Toshiba Regza ,and the remote came with tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Toshiba TV.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Toshiba LCD colour TV model number 32ul863 serial number 98ao4982
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, do you need any further information to help me? Looking forward to your help. Keith
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

The remote is needed to disable the panel lock hence, let's check first the remote.

There is a partial test to confirm if the remote is working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.

On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself.

Please post back results of camera test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi, the remote seems to work ok. What next? Keith
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Please click HERE for instructions on removing panel lock using the original remote.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Although the remote works ok using the camera test, it doesn't work with the TV. So how can I unlock panel, I can switch tv on manually but unable to change channels or volume etc due to panel lock. Keith
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

As posted above, "...if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself..."particularly if the remote is the original that came with the TV.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Afraid not, so do I understand that this TV is now useless. Keith
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.