Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My Samsung smart TV started to turn off and on on its own

Customer Question

My Samsung smart TV started to turn off and on on its own and now when you turn it on it only stays on for about a minute. The red light on the corner on the right just keeps flashing Non-Stop. If I unplug it and then plug it back in sometimes it will turn on but then turn right back off after 5 minutes.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

- Can you please get me the complete model number written on back cover of TV?

- How old is it and how long it have had the problem?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BN64-02071B-01
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it off of somebody, so not sure of age. It's been working fine for about 3 weeks and it just started doing this today. Also it says self diagnosis feature and setup feature function not available amongst other options?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Model would start like UNxxxx or UExxxx etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see nothing that starts like that on this tv. Those were the only numbers I could find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a plate off the back and inside it says UE5000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turned on by itself about 10 mins ago and has now stayed on. My real question here is how do I get the factory reset function available, given that I did buy it from Craigslist and there's no telling what they've set it to
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Model number usually written on label pasted at back cover of TV and a small sticker would also be pasted on side panel of TV, model would be like UN32EH5000F, UN32EH5300F etc.

Without having TV model number there is no way to get related manual for troubleshooting purpose as this info will help me to understand what type of TV it is.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well there is no labels or stickers. I don't know if the previous owners took them off what's going on. I'm knowledgeable about finding model numbers but those are the only ones I'm finding. If u could just answer my generalized question, how to make a smart tv have the ability to do a factory reset that'd be great.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, press Source button to get input source list and select TV as source.

Now press Menu to get menu screen and go to setup option and find Plug & Play option, select it to run initial setup wizard which will reset all previous settings in TV.

Another option is to check Support/ Help option in menu and find Reset option there to restore default settings in TV.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says set up function is not available. UE40EH5000K try that.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Press Menu and go to Support option then select Self Diagnostic then select Reset and press Enter. TV may ask password, put 0000 default password ***** proceed.

Please reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I previously told u, it says self diagnostic function not available.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, lets try another way.

Take your Smart TV Remote in hand and simultaneously press Info + Menu + Mute + Power.

Next, enter the following sequence into your remote: Mute > 1 > 8 > 2 > Power.
TV will boot up in service mode. Using your remote, go to Options >Factory Reset.

TV will now turn off, turn it back on to proceed with the setup wizard.

Does it work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't boot up to into service mode at all. Just turns off then on once power button is touched.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Try to push Mute+1+8+2+power buttons on remote bit quickly and close to TV.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Please note that TV should be in standby/ power off then push buttons mentioned above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid. You are the man!!!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the compliments~

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But shouldn't all the options become available again? Was I suppose to choose certain selections when it first reset?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No, please do not alter/ change any other settings in service menu as it would result a dead TV.

If the TV has restored to factory default settings and you get initial setup screen on next time turned it On then all is done and no need to do any thing else. Please reply back if I missed any thing here.

Thanks.