TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

No picture on a Spectre TV but there is sound. Spectre

Customer Question
No picture on a Spectre...
No picture on a Spectre TV but there is sound.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the sound before?
Customer: Spectre X320BV-ECO serial #917B31R1AA0778
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: We were getting no picture but sound is good. Tried changing the channels on the tv itself, still no picture. I tried plugging the tv to a computer and still no picture. So used the VGA port and Cable port with no luck for picture
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
7/14/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

If you use the original Sceptre remote and press MENU, or change the Input- can you see the MENU and Input indicators show on the screen?

Also, roughly how old is the set?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do not know how old the set is, probably about 1-2 years old. Do not have the remote for tv.

Than how were you able to change the Input over to VGA?

We need to know if the TV's native functions show up on the screen. Press any of the buttons on the TV itself and tell me if they appear (Input, MENU, Volume, etc.).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i wasnt, i just used the vga port on the back to see if i was able to get a picture. i have no idea what channel the tv is. I know that when i plug in the cable into the tv i get sound but no video

On the side of the TV are your buttons. Source is (S). Press it. What exactly do you see on your screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i turned on tv the word Spectre pops up and then the screen goes black. i have hit the menu, source, volume, channel buttons on the tv itself and nothing shows up.

So NONE of the TV's function buttons will even display their functions on the screen correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
none of the TV's function buttons will display anything

That indicates the TV has a hardware failure. There is nothing within the normal operation of the set that will prevent these buttons from displaying their function on the screen. So the issue is not a connection/setting related one, but rather that the Sceptre TV has an internal failure- generally the Mainboard if the Sceptre logo appears and screen goes black. Where did you get the set from and when did this problem occur?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the owner of the company bought the tv and do not know when specifically when the problem occured

Okay, it requires repairs. Is this something you're looking to fix yourself? If so, I will need you to check some things.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok what do i need to check

AFTER the screen goes black, shine a flashlight at a 45 degree angle up against the screen and look VERY closely. Press MENU and let me know if there is a shadowy image of the MENU barely visible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no shadowy image of the MENU

We need to know if the screen is still "Backlit" then- meaning slightly lighter than if the set were off. Shut the lights out or dim the lights in the room and see if the screen is still slightly lit when it goes black.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, i turned the lights off and then turned the tv back on and the screen stays black as if it were off

Okay, these are not consistent results then. If the screen were black as if it were off- then the image would be visible with a flashlight.

If the image were not visible with a flashlight, then the screen would be backlit.

So unless you have multiple failures in the set, then one of the results is not correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so then i must have multiple failures

Okay and just to clarify- the sound stays running during this entire time when there is a source connected, correct?

Okay, at the very least your power supply/Inverter board is faulty, since it's what provides the lighting to your screen and that part is available below for $85 and change:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sceptre-X320BV-ECO-JSI-320405-B-Power-Supply-Backlight-Inverter-/152157866061?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

At worst your Power supply and your Mainboard have failed and that board is just below $80 at the following link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sceptre-X320BV-ECO-ETV5380LU-GB-Main-Board-/152157859378?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Given the cost of parts alone to repair the set are going to be close to $150 and the TV can be replaced with a brand new 32" Vizio LED (which is built better than a Sceptre) for $200- I would personally consider putting that same money towards replacement of the set versus repairs.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.

Aric, Technician