Richard, Technician
Experience:  Avid TV Technician
32989067

I have Foxtel iq2, a dvd, player and Telstra tv all

Customer Question

I have Foxtel iq2, a dvd, player and Telstra tv all connected to my Panasonic HD TV. There are 2 hdmi ports on my tv taken by Foxtel and Telstra. My issue is I am trying to add a Panasonic BTW835 dvr (recorder) to the mix. I don't know how to connect all of these appliances and 'from which, to which'. I think I may need more cables of 'some sort' but what? Thank you if you are able to assist.... I've been trying all week!!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome Kirsty

The Foxtel iq2 does recording already.. what are you trying to record on the DVR? TV from where?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used to be able to record some DVDs onto my dvr for my kids from DVDs and Foxtel. I can get dvd on tv and Foxtel on tv. But I can't get the dvr to connect to the tv?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What model TV is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Panasonic 42in Plasma Dolby digital. Model no/ TH-P42X14A.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, you need to add the unit to the DVR then the DVR HDMI to the TV HDMI.

As the DVR has no HDMI input ports, you need to connect it using composite (the Red, White and Yellow.

So if you want to record DVD'd then connect the DVD player to this port and then connect the HDMI port of the DVR to the HDMI port of the TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which 'unit' to the dvr?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

That you wish to record, so if its the DVD you connect this.

It only has one input port apart from the Antenna, so you can only do one unit at a time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, and the DVD player connects to which port and using?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it seems you may have missed a message I sent you, no problem, I will repeat

As the DVR has no HDMI input ports, you need to connect it using composite (the Red, White and Yellow.)

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get my dvr to work on my tv WITHOUT HDMI cable?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find a television AV channel that works? And I can't use hdmi. .???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you can, but then you either need to disconnect one of the other devices.

Or you would need to use this extender

https://www.amazon.com/PORTTA-PET0301S-Switcher-Supports-Wireless/dp/B00B46XUQU?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Which would give you 2 more ports.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I join the extender?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It will fit on one of the HDMI ports on the TV, then you can connect up to three devices on the box and use the remote that comes with it, to switch between the devices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. I have ordered one. But until then, Even if connect my dv-r through hdmi2 cable to the tv, it still doesn't work for DVD recording as my dvd player works on AV 1, not hdmi 2? How do I get them to work compatibly.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The HDMI ports on the TV are for input devices, so things to display on the TV, it does not provide a signal. This is why I explained to you how to connect the DVD to the DVR using the Composite cables...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying but what if there IS no 'out' options on the DVD player? There is red, white (audio) and a yellow (video) on the dvr.... And there are 3 red and white options on the DVD player and one video (yellow) option. I have used those to no avail.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model of the DVD player?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a cheap one.... A c-tech. CT-1101.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I do not see any information on it.

what does it say on the red/white and yellow ports on the DVD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yellow - video
Red x 2 1- SR. 1- FR
White x 2. 1- SL. 1- FL.I have sent an IMG also.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, with this combination, only via the TV would be possible, but the DVR has no input ports apart from the Aerial, you would need a DVR with a HDMI input port, so with this DVD it will not be possible

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.... Everything can be seen except the DVR movie that I'm playing. I can HEAR it, but I can't get the picture? Do I have to wait for that adapter for the tv, so I can add another Hdmi cord to get picture?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You can get the audio to work, but you need to use the HDMI cable if you want to get video from DVR to the TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** bearing with me. You've been very patient with me.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is no problem at all.

Thank you