Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My television is breaking down picture and soundwise. When I

Customer Question

My television is breaking down picture and soundwise. When I go into the menu ,under sound it tells me that the tv speaker is off, how do I turn it on again and what is causing it to go off in the first place.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the sound before?
Customer: Its an LG model number 37LC20-8C
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turning it off at the main all night thats all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

In order to help you, I need to ask for more info:

1) Roughly how old is the set please?

2) Is there any external sound system connected to the TV?

3) What is connected to the set that you view from (cable/SAT box, DVD player, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's probably about ten years old. there is no external sound system connected. and I recieve my tv through a tv android box.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So right now there is NO sound through the TV speakers, or is it intermittent/breaking up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing, but I do notice that when this happens its also makes a big cracking sound and the picture hoes of too, but wgen I reboot it the picture comes back but not the sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But as I have said before in the menu it shows that the TV speakers are off and that is red.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, the fact that the TV made a crackling sound indicates a component failing/failed in the TV. There is never an instance in a TV when a noise is heard where it does not indicate electrical components shorting out. The issue is the Mainboard in your TV has failed and needs to be replaced. This board processes all of the external AV signals (the sound options in the MENU, picture settings, etc.) and contains the processor for the entire TV. There are not any quick fixes for this aside from leaving the TV unplugged for a length of time (several hours or more), in the hopes the processor resets. Beyond that the set would need its Mainboard replace which is on average a $225 repair on this set. I would consider though, that a brand new 37" LED TV can be purchased for almost the same cost so it is not cost effective to put that money into a 10 year old LG where parts are braking down. These sets are not built to last much longer than this anyhow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for that I will have to explore my options.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. If you're looking to attempt a DIY repair of the set, the Mainboard is typically available for around $100 through used/pulled parts sites. I am able to find one in stock for $145 at the link below for your model:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/lg-37lc2d-ue-main-board-68709m0734b-ebr33712101-agf31622301/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwh428BRCnvcyI-5nqjY4BEiQAijebwguk0wutW06a0ZWLBsKX9pOnBTsEJ0hoBYcFHcvrkQ0aAsS18P8HAQ

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one thought would it help to reset the telivision back to its factory setting?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If it will even allow you to- and it wouldn't hurt to try, but the fact that you heard a crack sound is not within normal operation of the TV and directly indicates a short.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise I heard was definitely from the speakers and not from the set itself
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Give it a shot. If it does not work then the rest of the information needed to decide to repair or replace the set is above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will do Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome and best of luck. If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?