Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a big screen tv Mitsubishi model number WD-73640 and

Customer Question

Hi I have a big screen tv Mitsubishi model number WD-73640 and after time it seems like the picture is too dark and we try to adjust the brightness and nothing happens? Are there lamps in these TVs that need replaced the periodic times? Or can you think of something else we can try to brighten up the screen?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I'm thinking under ten years? Maybe 7-8
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing this is my first atempt
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

There are indeed lamps in these tvs. They typically last about 2-3 years and then start to dim as you are experiencing. This is perfectly normal. Have you ever replaced the lamp before? It is not likely it would have lasted this long on a single lamp, unless it is used very little.

If you are comfortable replacing the lamp yourself, I can help you with directions and getting the part (it isn't too difficult and is intended to be something you can do yourself as the tv owner), or I can help you find a tech to come out to do the job if you prefer.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 12 months ago.

Hi , i`m Jack , different tech.

How long have you had this same lamp and has it ever been replaced ?

Lamps do dim with age , as a matter of fact it is one of the first sign you need a new lamp part #915B455011 that you can buy at the link below ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-915b455011-dlp-replacement-lamp-with-philips-bulb.htm

That one has a 1 year warranty and here is one cheaper with 6 months warranty ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-915b455011-dlp-replacement-lamp-with-osram-neolux-bulb.htm

I would not go below that like with cheap $30 knockoffs , you`d be asking for trouble only

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 12 months ago.

By the way , I`m responding to your request to have another answer