TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony flatscreen hooked up to cable. story but my

Customer Question
i have a Sony flatscreen...
i have a Sony flatscreen hooked up to cable. Long story but my father messed with the tv. I was able to get the picture back but no sound
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sony is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years old. KDL- 55ex500
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugged. Waited for 5 min plugged cable back in. Used the TV remote to go to sound settings. Everything looks right.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
7/9/2016
TV Technician: Jason Jones, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Jason Jones, Customer Service

I am the person that will be helping you today.

As far as sound goes, are you using the built in speakers or an external system?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Built in. Tv speakers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

Thank you for the update. There are a few things that may cause this problem, so let's go download list of things now.

- First, verify that the TV's volume is turned up and not muted. You'd be surprised how often this is the problem.

- Second, go into the Audio menu and disable any audio effects, such as "Simulated'.

- Next, on the TV menu, for the Audio, verify that the Speakers are set to On.

- Please, report back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Volume is turned up on tv unit and cable remot and tv remote. Didn't see any audio affects enabled. Speakers are on. This is so frustrating. I know it's something simple. The volume icon on the TV looks different. Like it's not a solid line.

That sounds like the mute indicator. Are you sure it is not muted?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not muted. Any other place besides the remote that would allow it to be muted?

Please, give me a little background about the problem that caused this in the first place. That may help us locate the culprit. How exactly did your father "mess" the tv up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been away on vacation. When I came home he had the TV remote that he had been messing with since last night. I try and hide the darn thing so he won't use it. When I came in he had no signal. I was able to get the TV back working again. Just no sound.

Did he by any chance plug in a set of headphones into the tv?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. FYI he is 96. He just pushes buttons. ��

I understand. At this point, you may want to factory reset the TV. You can do that from within the Settings menu. Do you want to do that report back?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe I already did that. I think it was called initial setup. Does that sound right.

The initial setup is not the same as resetting. Please, factory reset the TV.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry. I don't see that option.

Please, follow the instructions below to reset the tv:
- Turn the tv on.

- While holding down the UP ARROW button on the remote control, press the POWER button on the TV. The tv will turn itself off and reset.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help. My father is very inpatient. Wants the golf on. I will have to try this later. I hope it works. Many thanks.

Thank you.

Jason Jones, Customer Service