TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

55" samsung smart Tv - developed a dark horizontal across

Customer Question
55 " samsung smart Tv...
55 " samsung smart Tv - developed a dark horizontal haze across the center of the screen.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: 2 years old. Have unplugged briefly, but can try for a couple hours per your suggestion. Additional comment....the haze comes and goes after the tv is on for 3-4 hours then is fine after that sometimes.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just unplug briefly. use different HDMI from direct TV box.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: do I need model
3
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2016
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 1 year ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. There is no need to unplug the set for a couple of hours- that reply you received is from the TV Technician's assistance.

Can you please tell me, if when you first turn the TV on- the Samsung welcome screen displays bright and normally on the set?

No I can't take a phone call- sorry. The site sends that offer to you automatically- it's not anything I have any control over. Please simply reply back to the info requested here to proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, haze discussed is always there

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately this haze would indicate a failure in the LED/LCD panel of the set. This area is where the liquid crystal has pushed through and requires replacement of the screen.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up with a normal screen.

if you're still having the same problem (ie: Hazy or dark splotches or areas of the screen), this indicates a failure of the LCD compound in the screen. Unfortunately, to have this fixed, the entire screen would need to be replaced- which typically costs 80% of what the TV cost you when new. Whenever we see this issue the set is better off being replaced, as it will actually cost the same as having the pane of the set replaced. I'm very sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

The only small saving grace for this failure of the TV, without taking a complete loss on the set, is to contact a used/pulled parts supplier like: http://www.shopjimmy.com

They generally purchase TV's with bad screens to sell for parts. At least that may be a way to recoup a small amount of the loss.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Aric, Technician