Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an RCA sound bar. My grandson was playing with the

Customer Question

I have an RCA sound bar. My grandson was playing with the buttons. Now all sources are lit and the volume will not adjust lower. Can you help? I've tried unplugging the AC adapter with no results.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand it would be worth trying a hard reset of the soundbar to see if this fixes the issue. Please disconnect the soundbar from power and then press and hold the power/standby button on the unit itself (not the remote) for 15 full seconds and release.

Wait a minute then press and hold the power/standby button again while plugging the system back into power. Continue to hold the power button for 10 seconds and release. If the bar does not power up on it's own then press power once more.

Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, unfortunately there isn't much more you can do and it's looking like you've got a failure here. Please let me know if pressing MUTE changes anything on the display. Also how long have you owned this unit for roughly?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do all the lights stay lit up even if you press MUTE please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the buttons work on the sound bar; only the remote works. The sound will only turn off with changing the sources from the remote. We've had the sound bar for 2 years.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If none of the buttons on the soundbar work then this is a hardware failure. Now you mentioned sound will only turn off with changing sources on the remote, so the soundbar is stuck on a source, and full blast- correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you indicating that I need a new sound bar?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I am not directly indicating anything, but rather providing information. There's only two other things on a user level you can try before having it serviced. 1) Check and make sure NONE of the buttons on the unit itself are stuck down (work all of the buttons several times to make sure). 2) Leave the entire unit unplugged from power for several hours or more in the hopes that this resets the processor. Other than that, this does mean a failed processor and no other user/pushbutton fixes can cure this- it would be a hardware failure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not good news, but thank you. ***** be charged. since it can't be fixed?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

In the latter case, given the average cost for repairs on these units is 75% of the replacement cost, it would make more sense to put that same money towards replacement versus repairs. If I may- RCA/Thompson of China is not known in the industry for producing reliable products these days. They are not the same RCA as yesteryear. I would suggest for the same money- a Vizio or Samsung, or for a bit more Polk, Boston Acoustics or JBL make a much more reliable product.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks for the advice on a new purchase.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Also have you tried leaving the system unplugged for several hours? While I don't want to offer false hope, it would be worth it as a last ditch effort to get the system working.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.